Friday, July 12, 2013

Summertime Ramblings

I love this time of the year where my kids aren’t overly involved or committed and not stressed out by anything other than being reprimanded for fighting. Our biggest stress is if the swimsuits and towels have dried for the next day. I’ll admit I’m sort of clinging to these last few days before Sidney starts kindergarten. It happened too fast. Despite my selfishness, I know school will be a good change in her schedule. She thrives in consistency and schedule where Eli thrives without being rushed. Polar opposites. 
 

 Most summers I use daycare, however this year we decided not to take her anywhere, knowing she gets lots of social interaction with all the activities that take place over summer. We knew this would be a stretch for her as her normal is still being in a room of kids. She’s visibly more relaxed. Being alone is a time of floundering and orneriness. I can’t say that’s entirely true this summer. Again with the swimming. It’s good for her in every way. I’ve talked many times about her sensory issues on our blog. There’s something about the sensation of the water that calms her and most of all wears her out!

In the midst of kids being home and juggling work, I am directing Bible school again this year. Somewhere in between we’ve had a ton of fun with our friends in the  last few weeks. Let’s just say mom took herself outside of her normal level of comfort and allowed herself to be driven through the woods on a ranger bouncing around. Eli was totally enthralled with the experience. Notice the photo below of him. I watched it happening. I’ve never been a mom that’s afraid of a little dirt, so I cracked up watching him smile ear to ear as he was being splattered.
Tomorrow is four years since we  boarded the plane for Changsha and took an elevator ride that would change our lives forever. I am so blessed to be Sidney's mom. My mind often wanders to God's ability to bring a parent and child together that are separated by time and space and forever change their lives through the willingness to love and trust one another. If you think of Sidney's brothers and sisters that didn't have their forever family day, please say a prayer for them today that if anything their lives could be bearable today and they are protected. My heart will be forever broken for the orphan. But I tell myself if my heart isn't broken, I don't remember this goes on. That's not acceptable. So today say a prayer for the kids left behind.

No comments: