Monday, July 1, 2013

Cousins on Summer Days

A few minutes to catch up on the blog! 25 people will descend on our house on the 4th. It’s the “Impromptu BBQ” we have every year. There’s even a sign that’s passed from family to family. This year we’re carrying the torch. Why not add a party to work and VBS? This is actually fun. We have a huge backyard, so we were nominated to carry on the tradition the next couple of years.

 This week is a week of gatherings. We had our family Christmas on Saturday, so there is plenty of cuteness in this week’s photos. It was great for Sidney and Eli to run around with their cousins on Saturday and Sunday. After a series of episodes which took place at the public pool the last couple of days, it was welcome relief. I guess it’s a surprise when we run into people that are strangers and don’t know our story in an exposed place like the pool. This is the first time we’ve run into a blatent lack of kindness on the part of another child. I’ll admit, it broke my heart to see her reaction. She didn’t want to go in the same area as the girls in the shallow end of the pool. Who could blame her? Brats.
I sneaked around the corner to get this. I want to know what the cousins were talking about so contentedly? 
Aside from this small confrontation, we have been spending many blissful afternoons in the sun. Perhaps too much blissful time. Eli, Tom, and I are somehat jealous of Sidney’s beautiful bronzed skin. I think any mom of an Asian child knows it doesn’t matter how much sunscreen you slather on. I can put 50 on her before we leave, and she still has tan lines when we get home.  Getting to my point, Eli and I spent about half an hour too long in the sun. I felt terrible, but in my defense, I had an uncooperative 11 year old in the pool with his friends.
Our niece AnDee was the inspiration for choosing China for adoption. She loves spending time with Sidney. So much so that she was willing to ride a big wheel down the driveway. 
Okay off to clean something else before Thursday. Thankfully everything’s outside, but I guess I have to let them in to use the restroom.
Enough of this family bonding already. 

No comments: