Monday, June 25, 2012

A little of this, a little of that


 My kitchen is knee deep in VBS decorations, modge podge, cardstock, and all things VBS. Chaos is reigning our house, and I’m trying to find some semblance of order. I’m exactly a month from the event. As usual, I am sleeping with a pen and paper by my bed and waking up in the night, unable to go back to sleep while thinking about what needs to be done. It’s all worth it the first night the kids walk in.  

I got to see my cousin AnDee again this weekend and wasn't afraid. We had a great time together!
Outside of creating curriculum for 50 kids (it will be closer to 75 by the event), we are finally, blessedly into a summer routine! Speaking of structure, I’m finding another way to keep peace in our house over summer. I was introduced to the marble jar by another adoptive mom. The crux of the marble jar is good behavior and helping with chores. Marbles are added for positive behavior. Negative behavior like mouthing off, pinching brother, deciding it’s appropriate to have a fit for no reason, backtalk, and any other numbers of negative behaviors mean marbles are subtracted. I like it, because more often than not they receive them for positive behavior. I only need to threaten to take a marble from the jar, and I’m typically met with a willingness to cooperate. It’s been a great way to help Sidney understand the consequences of her actions. I’ve written many times she has sensory issues. 


Tom and I were talking the other day about her sensory issues.  We talked about how hard it is to help other people to understand. We’ve never had her formally diagnosed. I am nervous about doing so, because her issues are typically mistaken for ADHD. That’s a scary thought. We continue working with her in other ways keeping her on a very strict schedule, keeping lots of sensory activities available.  I also went on Pint*rest and found a list of sensory activities. I will post what I found in a day or so. If it helps any other sensory parents, activate an account on P*nterest and pull up the word sensory. I was amazed!

Humor me with one more vacation picture.
 OK, off to cut up 10 packages of tissue paper.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Marble jars are awesome! I hope you have an amazing VBS!