Friday, June 29, 2012

Forecast = Storms


 If you read my blog, you know I keep it real. I share, because I want families starting out to understand this is a long journey. For the millionth time, this is the stuff I wanted to know before we traveled. I knew the attachment issues in the first days home, but what happens after three or four years?  And I can answer for all the sunshine and rainbows are storms. Sometimes they come in and pass quickly with a light sprinkle. Other times they create a torrential down poor.  It’s been a long time since we’ve seen Sidney’s emotional state regress. It was a reminder my tough survivor is equally fragile. 


Sometimes I can identify the trigger, and other times, I’m not so lucky. Typically, it’s a sight, sound, or smell. During those times, I remember as hard as it is to watch it all unfold, it’s healing. She’s working through something. As quickly as it moves through, I see the sun peaking out from behind the clouds. Gone are the murky sad eyes, and usually something random is said about China. She’s processing her story at a four year old level. 

Can you tell I spend a lot of time finding random drawings around the house? I love her flowers!

Thank goodness my girl will be back on her regular schedule next week. I’ve shared we send her to daycare three mornings a week for a couple of hours. She needs structure. When there’s no structure or things change, she’s typically ripe for an episode like we experienced this week. So, next week we are back on track with her daycare provider back from vacation. 

OK, I’m off to create 4th of July treats. Hopefully, my next blog will be more festive and fun!

No comments: