Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Squeezing In A Blog


Both kids participated in the school Christmas program on Tuesday night. Sidney made her debut as a dove in the 3 year old live manger scene.  I was overjoyed to watch another of the moments I refer to as the “good stuff.”  It’s the stuff  that gives perspective to sitting in the waiting room during surgery or watching her struggle to understand her permanence in our family. Her performance was highlighted by getting clocked by the heavy stage curtain as it swept past her. Eli followed with the big kid program. It was enjoyable, because he didn’t baulk about it in the days leading up to the performance.  Of course, who could blame him after he was cast as a bell in our church Christmas program last year? An event which is sure to scar him for life. And as a side note, I would love to include some photos of Eli, but he is with his classmates, in the photos, so I can't post them.



In other family Christmas events, we celebrated with Tom’s parents and sister last weekend. We are a very blessed family. I might sound like a schmuck, but I truly enjoy giving more than receiving. Whenever I look around at the overabundance on Christmas, I can’t help but think about those who are truly without. Perhaps, this is because I read a very moving blog entry a couple of days ago. A missions group was in Africa. The person chronicling the journey discussed a trip to the local dump. People scavenged through refuse looking for bits of food. One of them had leprosy and was missing fingers. We are all born the same with the same heart, and we end up with such vastly different circumstances. The photos were like nothing I have ever seen. It puts so many of the issues we consider problems in our lives in to perspective. It makes completing my Christmas shopping a privilege and a joy.

Stepping off my soapbox, Tom’s schedule has slowed down considerably in the past couple of days. This allowed me to go caroling with Eli’s boy scout troop last night. It was rainy. In this part of the Midwest, we aren’t receiving any snow, and it’s warm and foggy. I’ll admit, I didn’t feel like going out again, wanting to stay where it was dry. Then, good Lutheran guilt kicked in. I started thinking about how much joy a couple of Christmas songs could give the residents. So, we went. Much to Eli’s chagrin, the parents also followed along and chimed in. Mr. Independent preferred mom didn’t come along. 

OK, I’m off to produce the family photo card. Yes, I’m a traditional girl. Cards and stamps please. There’s no other way.

No comments: