Thursday, December 22, 2011

Emerging From the Trenches

You did a great job Eli!
A stomach bug hit our house. I labeled it “swift and severe.” Tom is the last man standing. Luckily, before the bug hit, both kids participated in our church Christmas program. Notice Eli’s enthusiasm. I told him he was lucky to take a narrator’s role. He looked at me with a puzzled expression until he saw the boys in his Sunday School class dressed as angels. This particular performance was upstaged by the 3rd/4th grade Christmas pageant. As Eli stood in the choir, complete with a halo of tinsel, a bat emerged in the very tall ceilings of the church. As the performance went on, it continued diving closer and closer. 

This is the expression I get when the performance doesn't start until 7pm.


During all this illness, I’ve had lots of laptop time. I’m doing a lot of research on Sidney’s preschool picking and poking and touching and tackling. Yes, it’s partially her age, but a few red flags have been raised. It’s nothing difficult to work with, but she’s definitely sensory seeking. Given her past, it’s not surprising. Yes, it’s kid stuff, its common in kids who spent more than a year in an orphanage environment, and kids with the label….I’m willing myself to type this label….failure to thrive. As much as Sidney is the polar opposite of failure to thrive, her height and weight are the definition of failure to thrive. I look at her medical records long enough to acknowledge it’s there.

Thanks Grandma JeanJean for my cute outfit! The bike helmet was my own touch.


So, what can Tom and I do? Continue being consistent and continue working with her teacher. So, yes. Regular parenting stuff. With this consistency, comes frustration. I’m an honest person, and it’s not always easy when your child is picking and poking at classmates and her brother. I am hoping some down time over Christmas break without all the running eases things a bit.

So, I am off to my day of catching up. Gift wrapping, making a couple things, and looking at the dusting of snow that fell overnight. The kids are done with school, and the season is upon us.


No comments: