Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Ramblings


It's great having your good friend as the teacher's assistant in Sidney's preschool. Who can resist a photo op with Jumbo the Circus Elephant?

I’m looking across the room, and Eli is deep into a Star Wars III battle on his DS….pardon me DSi. He always makes that correction. He earned 280 marbles this summer, averaging 4 per day to earn it. Marbles were exchanged for some chore or task around the house. And believe me, I got my money’s worth! During VBS he earned a ton, cutting stuff out, or helping with Sidney. I commend him for doing it with enthusiasm. We only had to make a threat, if he stepped out of line, and any crisis was quickly averted. Marbles are an awesome parenting technique.  I credit it with keeping our house completely sane (never completely sane when I am present) over the summer. 

However with the good, always comes the bad. Before you think I am a negative person, hear me out.  As I sat on the laptop (big shocker I know) a few nights ago, I looked around the living room. Tom was looking at something on the internet with his smart phone, Eli was on his DS, and Sidney was zoned out watching TV. Enough! I firmly told everyone from 7:30 until bedtime, at least 1 solid hour, there are no electronic devices allowed except TV. I can’t expect everyone to go cold turkey. I just wanted our family to interact. And I will be the first to admit, it wasn’t easy. But after a couple of nights, I started looking forward to the uninterrupted time. I started knitting again, and pre bedtime peace has come over the house. 

And while I was cracking down, I decided to make a long overdue phone call. Our cable is history. Meaning, we have 20 channels and stream Netflix and hulu.com. There were tears and fits. Eli made a plea for his beloved Nick Jr. I let him know Nick Jr. discriminates against elderly people, in my humble opinion, and we don’t believe in mistreating people in this house. I was on a roll.  


And honestly, who has time to watch all those channels? Ask me this after the winter months are done, and I am going nuts! If given the chance, I can be a bit of a TV junkie. And shamefully, this good Lutheran girl, really loves reality television after the kids go to bed.  I know it’s probably not something I should announce on my blog, so consider it a confession of sorts.


No comments: