Friday, September 18, 2009

Thank You Senator Grassley!


Today was very exciting! Sidney was officially a citizen when she went through immigration in Chicago; however we were waiting for the official Certificate of Citizenship to move forward with her social security number, an Iowa birth certificate, and several other items. We traveled in a group of 24 and were the last family to receive the document. When making calls I found out her information was in the system but had yet to be uploaded and printed. I thought this was ridiculous but at this point, I said wait a few days. After all, we were dealing with the United States government. After a few days had passed still nothing. I decided it was necessary to contact Senator Grassley’s office. I am elated I made a phone call. I called the Waterloo office and faxed in information on Wednesday. By this morning, or Friday, the Fed Ex man was knocking by 9am.

A 2 cm lift was placed in a pair of tennis shoes for Sidney. Tom and I are blown away at how quickly she was able to learn to maneuver with the added height. In fact, she is walking much faster without the added chore of walking with the longer of her two legs bent, to accommodate the shorter leg. She is ready to put them back on immediately if they are taken off for any reason.

Sidney wears an infant 2 on the left foot and an infant 4 on the right. Again, we think she will grow up to be quite small and petite like many of the Hunanese we saw in her province. Hunanese people appeared to be much smaller and petite than those we saw in the northern part of China, in Beijing. Many women were equal my height at 5’9 1/2 or taller, in Beijing.

Though all this, Sidney continues to thrive. I am learning a girl is much calmer than a boy. Equally curious and into everything, but she sits for a few minutes consecutively. She is still totally enthralled by the cat, and the cat is putting up with her. She has learned that pet does not mean pull.
Tom and Eli are off for a hunting expedition. Tom is an avid duck hunter, and so is Tom’s dad however I think my dad will be joining them for this particular outing. During fall months, my only requirement is that he does not wake me or any sleeping children.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a sweet picture of Sidney. She's such a cute!