Sunday, September 27, 2009

Baked Beans and Bug Bites





First, Eli had open house at school this week. He and Sidney are posing in the loft in the 2nd grade classroom. She made herself quite at home in the classroom and seemed to enjoy being around all the big kids.

We celebrated 2 months home last week and our first visit from a caseworker. This is required after one month, six months, and 12 months. Our caseworker was longwinded and blessed us with a three hour visit which could have been condensed into 1 ½ hours. I did not care, because it was so great to have a “post placement visit” versus simply updating our information while waiting.

Sidney was her normal hammish self despite receiving 3 wasp bites on her hand a couple of hours prior to the visit. To top it off, it happened inside our house. I ran out to deliver trash to the garbage can where I watched her peeking at mommy through the deck door. As I came in, her smile turned to hysterical crying. First aid came in the form of frozen hash browns. Part of Daddy’s previous bad eating habits. She allowed me to take care of her and comfort her which is a huge step. After about an hour and a dose of Benadryl, she started playing again. Her hand was hot on and off all night but she is frolicking around two days later like nothing happened. It was swollen until about Saturday.

My parents came for a visit this afternoon; delivering photos of my beautiful new nephew Fin. I loved looking at the pictures. Obviously, during this stage, it would be quite difficult to drive to Madison and back for the day with Sidney who has limited long trip experience in the car. We will go to the Twin Cities for an early family Christmas in October; however we will spend two nights in our hotel. It is strange, but when she is with us as a family she is fine. As soon as we step outside of our normal routine, she tends to get a bit stressed and fussy. This takes longer to occur than it used to when we had additional people visiting the house.

We learned how far Sidney has progressed in this short time. My parents came for a visit, looked at MORE photos of China which I was more than willing to show off, and stayed for a meal. It was not until the very last portion of the visit that she started to wind up. As soon as my parents stepped out the door, the fussing stopped instantly. She relies on consistency. Understand the environment which she came from gave her no choices and was basically a regimented routine. Sidney is learning to just “be.”

As I looked at her photos from China with my parents we were again reminded of how much her hair has grown in from scratched off and wispy to thick, soft, and shiny. It will certainly make some of the most adorable pony tails when it is long enough. Amazing what a little nutrition in your diet will do for hair growth. Her skin has cleared completely. I also notice the joy on her face. Gone is the sober looking face and instead is the face of a happy 18 month old. When we smiled at her across the room before the smile was not reciprocated. The smile is definitely reciprocated now and sometimes we even get a big WET kiss! She is also leaning in and holding her arms out to hug her brother. Eli would never admit it, but his usual response is AAAWWWW!

Her diet is also steadily becoming more. She loves her dad’s baked beans and cannot eat enough dry cereal. I said tonight at dinner, she is the only person in the family who really needs bacon in their baked beans, as I ate bacon in the beans for the first time this year.

We continue to enjoy time as a family and try not to think too much about the medical procedures we have coming in the future for her fused fingers. I have decided I do not want to remember her first few months home as me stewing around (something we all know I am good at!) about something that is out of my control!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Awwwww...poor Sidney. KayLi has awful reactions to mosquitoes bites, I can't imagine a wasp. I'm glad it's better now.

I love you attitude about her upcoming surgery. Living in the moments God gives us is His best for us by far. He'll give you the strength you need to handle the rest when you need it. Enjoy your today!

Eli seems like a great big brother by the way :0)

Blessings, Lisa

Rachelle said...

Found you! WOO HOO! I could not get to your blog from your profile when you left a comment and I could not remember your blog title.

Praying for upcoming surgery... She is such a doll baby and looks like her personality is really coming out! :)