Wednesday, October 7, 2009

La Da De La Da Da Life Goes On.....




I refer to fall as the “season of the single parent,” because Tom works in the heating and cooling business. For those who are unaware, I will backtrack. Tom works for his regular employer by day, and a few nights a week he does work under our own business name. I am running around like a mad woman with Eli taking Taekwondo and in Boy Scouts. He loves both and never complains about all the activity. He seems to thrive under the chaos. I have always vowed not to have over scheduled children, so these are the only things he is involved with. Let him be a kid some of the time, there is plenty of time to be stressed as an adult! Taekwondo is only ½ hour, and it is better than letting him sit idly.

Sidney has turned into a complete dare devil. The gate down for even a second is invitation for her to scale the stairs at record speed, actually climbing faster when she sees mom coming and sternly saying, “Sidney Ningxia.” Her walking has improved even more, and we continue to see more and more of her personality. Cleaning is common amongst kids from China, from what I gather from other adoptive parents. Take a look at what she was doing in the dirty dishes about to go in the dishwasher. She was able to snag a baby wipe and start cleaning them. She started to take a cup out and wipe it off. Something more comedic is the photo of the tent. Guess what happens when Grandpa and Dad are avid duck hunters and the free tent is too small for the hunting dog? They have had so much fun. Also take note of the Teddy Grahams she snagged the other day.

Much to my chagrin, I have found that the availability of cold remedies on the drug store shelf has drastically diminished. We are in the process of fighting and ear infection and cold. I have not taken care of a sick toddler for 6 years. I sarcastically give a shout out to the FDA who thinks it has the right to tell me what I should not be giving my child. Tonight is the first night where I think she might be resting peacefully. I have been giving her Benedryl, because it is all that is available outside of Motrin and Tylenol.

This week was a week of many positive things, despite the funk going around our home. Our church congregation gave us a baby shower. This was quite unexpected and when our pastor’s wife came to us, we were really surprised. Such generosity from so many people. Sidney has some beautiful clothes, and they had gifts for Eli. Just another reminder that God has watched over this entire process. To say our hearts were full would be an understatement.

I will end on this note. Eli was playing with Sidney and I tonight, and told me, “Mom, I am going to love her forever and ever, but don’t tell anyone at school.” Wow, that just made the three years waiting and everything else seem like nothing! Leave it to him, to put it all into perspective.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

WOO HOO for a baby shower! I Love how God provides!

Lisa said...

What fun to have an unexpected shower! I love your new haircut!!!

Shari said...

It sounds like you guys are really finding a "grove" Sidney will dance with more people when she is ready:)
As far as cold remedies go - my doctor suggested a Table Spoon of honey - weird, but it works. Hopefully she's all better now, but I'm guessing from experience she's going to have a rough winter and it's nice to have a back up. Bendedryl started making Amelia hyper and that's NOT how you want a sick kid!