Monday, September 16, 2013

Speed Racer


I was flipping the TV one afternoon last week, finding a cartoon for Sidney when I discovered the Little C*uple in China. I have wanted to see it for a long time and can never seem to find time. Sidney was immediately intrigued and watched the entire episode with rapt attention.  As the familiar sounds of Chinese echoed in the living room as the couple experienced the adoption, she sat in my lap clinging to me. It’s another situation where she’s confused. She obviously afraid, but I don’t think she understands why. Tom and I have talked at length about putting her into situations that push her comfort level but in a controlled environment. This was an awesome opportunity.

While we were watching she asked if we could go to China. This has been a normal question in the last couple of months, however her next question threw me a bit. “Can we visit the people that know me? Do you think they will know me mommy?” I was pondering my answer when she commented “If we go to China nobody’s messing with my hands.” We noticed, especially when she first came home, she didn’t like anyone touching her hands or looking at them at all. It’s something we have always made sure others respect. I thought it spoke volumes about what she probably experienced in China.
My subjects aren't as willing as they used to be
having their picture taken. 
She seems to be processing things a lot right now. This weekend out of nowhere she started telling her story to no one in particular in a room full of relatives, “This is my mommy, but I didn’t grow in her belly. I grew in somebody else’s belly.” I can only imagine as she sorts this out, it’s terribly confusing. We can only make sure we talk openly and talk a lot about how our family was made.

I can't remember if I posted this from this summer when Eli was in our local parade.
I couldn't believe how grown up he looked in the photo!
We are off to another school day tomorrow. Cooler weather means school isn’t done early in the afternoon. Thankfully, Sidney is still thrilled to be in school. Today they did technology. She methodically explained they each had their own computer to use in the computer lab. It’s always fun as a mom to hear your kids enthusiastic about learning new things.


Okay I’m off to see if the couple on TV loves it or lists it. 

No comments: