Thursday, April 25, 2013

Casted Sedation


I wrote this last week, but I'm finally posting it!

I should be working, but I have to take a few minutes to catch up. If you’re reading this, and you are at all a part of our friends, family, or community thank you for all your prayers and support during Sidney’s surgery. She’s dozing on the couch next to me. It was her first day back to school, and she’s worn out. It’s a good worn out, because she was more than ready to go back. She was still a bit loopy on pain medication Friday, so we decided to wait another day. It’s better than she’s tired after school and happy than home bored and frustrated by her current situation.

She’s figuring out how to do things with her left hand, however we had a frustrating first few days home. Her cast is almost up to her armpit, so I can’t blame her. I can only remind her that if we get this done now, she will be healed in time for summer with the pool and a sandbox I’m going to twist Tom’s arm into making.

So this is what I have been meaning to share, but Sidney’s hand and surgery took priority in my posts. Throughout the wait during the adoption process, Tom (and I guess myself, but I didn’t do anything but paperwork) had a small heating and cooling business on the side which operated outside of our home town. We didn’t want to compete with his boss. Over the last five to six years, it supplemented the costs of adoption, however the last year mom has slowly built up work. Enough that dad no longer has to be out of the house working extended hours on top of his regular job.

We made the conscious choice not to go into business on our own full time, so we have time to paint the cupboards in my sad old kitchen, paint the walls a different color, and make a sandbox. Okay, I’m off to pick up Eli after school who always has his own agenda the moment the door swings open. Either that or he will rattle off a fact he read in the Guin*ss B**k of W*rld R*cords or something completely unrelated to saying hello. 

No comments: