Thursday, April 18, 2013

Capers of a Cast


I’m sitting next to  Sidney with a bright pink cast. Tuesday was surgery and we were home the same day. With all the craziness in our house leading up to the procedure, I didn’t have time to post. This was the right hand, where the surgeon worked to release contracted scar tissue, causing a bone in the middle of her finger to bend. A three hour procedure released the contracted scar tissue with skin grafts off her hip and a pin placed in the finger to straighten the middle bone in the finger. 
Really? A cast again? My brave girl being released.
 Things couldn’t have gone more smoothly which is always a blessing. I have to brag. Sidney was a trooper and allowed the doctors to do whatever was needed without any resistance. We requested she have something immediately when we arrived, because we don’t want her to remember going back to surgery. One of our anesthesiologists recommended this during her first surgery in January 2010 for the same hand (the first with another surgery in May 2010 on the left hand). She goes back without a fight, and this is our goal. Our surgeon said this could be the last procedure on her hand, however it is possible she might need one more revision before she’s fully grown.
Sometimes a dill pickle can make things a little better. 
For now, I’d like to say my girl is upbeat about the cast, but her whole world is painting, drawing, using play dough and generally being creative This is nothing I’ve encouraged, it’s Sidney. My tiny artist is not pleased with the obstruction on the hand. 
Thank you Zoey! Since we can't be together in school,
this really cheered me up!
I’m pleas ed it will come off in three weeks. This is less time than the last time. I assume this is because the grafts are not the length of her finger but the areas between the two fingers. After that she will be in a splint for three weeks.

No comments: