Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Obstacle Courses and Cakes


Understand with the story I’m about to tell that I used to roll my eyes at people’s cute kid stories. That was obviously prior to having my own cute kid stories. As Sidney was sitting in my lap waiting for the requisite minute to pass while applying a temporary tattoo, she looked up at the counter and asked in very clear speech as if to impress me with her speaking ability while bucking for a treat before lunch, “Can I have a graham crapper mommy?” 
"Mom really? Hurry up!" 

First place in the Marine's category.
Sidney was invited to her first birthday party with a classmate this year. I think any adoptive parent will understand when I say the most ordinary activities are the most special. Watching her carefree attitude and seeing her joy at the smallest of things makes us all smile. It was on a Sunday, so Dad was able to share in the fun by being the parent in attendance. Eli and I were working tediously on his cake. It was his last cake auction in Cub scouts. Parents help create a cake and businesses in town purchase them. It’s a great way to raise funds. Besides, who can resist a scout proudly walking in front of the audience with their cake mom teeters on the edge of her seat waiting for the precariously positioned cake to slide off the board as the tiny scout can barely carrie it back and forth.  There were a couple of near misses last night. Eli got first place in his division!
I'm so glad Eli convinced me not to do a tank!
Meanwhile we are watching our cats slow decent. Ralph is 15 years old, and we are seeing him begin to fail. Like an older person, he has his good days and his bad days. Unfortunately, losing a pet is tough. There’s no way to go around it. We’ve had the tough talk with the kids already about a pet having a good life until the end. This includes not dragging things out too long in order to satisfy our own needs to have a pet versus doing what’s humane and gives the animal dignity. Wouldn’t you know after my speech he rallied around the next day? He’s sleeping next to me on the couch and continues his geriatric howl each morning to be fed.
Okay, I’m off to finish work. 

No comments: