Wednesday, August 15, 2012


So, the countdown is on. School starts Monday, and this mom couldn’t be any happier to resume a consistent routine. We are squeezing in last minute trips to the pool and enjoying days without rushing around. In celebration of summers end, I allowed Eli to go on two separate sleepovers with only one night at home in between. How could I say no? He already had plans for Friday night when another mom texted me. By Saturday night, he was falling over asleep on the couch.

Thank you Courtney from the Rose Tinted Lens

While Eli socializes, Sidney and I are having lots of conversations about preschool. Her days are going to change. Every morning Monday through Friday, she goes to preschool. This week is much smoother, so I’m glad she feels calm while we’re having these conversations. This is a great change from last week.


Thank you Courtney from the Rose Tinted Lens.

She woke up several times last week with night terrors. Typically, if she has a night terror, the day after I can expect to hear about China. Typically, it’s something about “coming on the big plane from China.” So, what she said next blew me away. Eli and I were talking about if/when our family takes a heritage trip. If we decide Sidney will benefit emotionally, we will go. Sidney was sitting in the backseat (the most important comments and conversations out of my kids always happen in the car. She said, “you need a lot of food in China, Mom. You starve in China, Mom.”
I’m certain my jaw almost hit the floor. There’s nowhere she would have heard the word starve. We haven’t used this word, ever. We’ve talked about having food around; she didn’t have enough in China, etc. But never have we used the word starve. Sometimes it’s hard to believe all her mind retained at such a young age.

OK, I’m off to continue tackling my Mt Vesuvius of laundry. Camping this weekend for a fun activity prior to starting school on Monday. Now, if I can find a two subject notebook I’ll be set.










No comments: