Monday, July 30, 2012

Summer Slowdown

Finally, things are slowing down!  VBS is done, and everyone is recovering from five evenings in church. Now, if I can get Sidney well. My little peanut has a low fever and cough today. Not a fun way to spend a summer day, going to the doctor for antibiotics. However, we are glad to have routine again. Routine is great for Sidney, and for this reason alone, I am looking forward to the start of school!
VBS Finale

But, starting school 5 mornings per week comes with a bit of apprehension after our experiences last year. Her preschool teacher (with many years experience) indicated it was like nothing she’d ever seen. She was fine during center time and working independently on worksheets at the table. But, rug time and lining up were triggers. If she was put in the middle of the rug or line, she was grabbing onto other kids. I looked to other adoptive parents for a better understanding, and this laid the framework for other common behaviors in sensory kids like excessive irritability, tantruming, an  inability to respond to verbal ques, not eating in strange environments, and the list goes on and on.

My sister from another mister and Tom helping me with VBS.

As I continued researching, I came across many different ways of alleviating her behaviors. I think we slipped out of these habits over the summer. Spending so much time outside in the yard and at the swimming pool, things settled down. Then, it started becoming incredibly hot. We could go to the pool for brief periods. Combined was a change in schedule from school. She’s sleeping later and staying up later. VBS was the icing on the cake. So, for now, we are laying low with a calm schedule.
Last night while still feeling good!
And what are we doing to ease her stress? We go through a lot of M**n Dough and watercolor paints. We redirect her with these activities, and they seem to decrease her tactile needs. At one point, we were going through one tray of watercolor paints per week. I give a lot of foot rubs. There's something that eases her tension. We make every attempt for her not to get overtired. She stands at the back of the line in school and sits in the back of the carpet.
Wow! If your reading this thanks for listening and sticking with me! I refer back to this sometimes as a behavior journal.
Hopefully, this blogger will be back on track, writing often again!And as a side note, I'd have more pictures of Eli, but he dodges the camera!



1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm playing catch up with you on here and loved seeing your VBS pics, as well as being reminded of how teeny Sidney was! Hope she's feeling better soon and that your routine brings much needed rest.