Friday, April 27, 2012

Hand Update


Right hand prior to syndactyly reconstruction in Jan. 2010.
I see cut up magazine pages and my hot glue gun. VBS is upon us. With a writing project complete my mission is to get caught up. That and as much calm as we can squeeze into a weekend. Next Friday is our six month checkup on Sidney’s right hand. In January, 2010, she had a syndactyly reconstruction. Using a graft off her hip, the surgeon separated her middle and pinkie finger.  Her three fingers function independently of one another, however the grafted area has thick scar tissue, and it tips slightly inward.
 
Good thing I like my left thumb as well as my right.

It’s our job to decide what’s medically necessary and what’s cosmetically unnecessary. Right now she has incredible dexterity. Anyone around her for any length of time comments on her fine motor skills. They are completely advanced for her age. It’s tough to think about the months it takes to get her hand back to normal after surgery. However, I know revisions are a normal part of syndactyly repair. 

Newly separated fingers healing.
Of course, avoiding surgery is my goal, but I know it’s not always an option with her condition. Surgery means a cast for six months, followed by a stabilizing split for another six weeks. Casts come off kids easily, so we are constantly on guard watching. Her age was advantageous with her previous surgeries. She was too little to absorb a lot of what was happening until the procedure was complete. So, we will listen to the surgeon. And I shouldn’t forget her minions.

Fingers fully healed two years later.
I’m certain parents of kids with unique special needs understand when I say "minions." We go to the university hospital. Obviously, it’s a teaching hospital. This means lots of medical students. My opinion is if they can learn something and help another family, we are open to whatever they can learn. Plus, and I’m not bias, she’s an adorable patient. 

OK, off to prevent a flood on my kitchen table. Sidney tends to get a bit wild with the watercolors.

No comments: