Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I'm Sensing Something Sensory

I am looking at freshly painted walls. Both kids were shipped to Grandma Jean Jean and Grandpa Bob Bob's house for 2 nights while mom and dad enjoyed silence! I'm a strong believer in breaks for couple time minus kids. There are so many times our conversations are interrupted, despite our attempts to teach the kids differently. It was nice to finish a sentence for more than 24 hours. 
Super bowl vultures hovering over the snack stadium.
 Since I last wrote, I have read a lot and talked with other parents from the China program. Sidney has disruptive tendencies and at times she misunderstands socially acceptable physical boundaries. This is made confusing by her ability to stay on task during activities. She can sit and color or work on projects without issue, but during down time she struggles. This was key in figuring out, it's probably sensory dysfunction. With this in mind, we are taking steps to ease the tension this creates in school and our household.

First, I finished the book the Connected Child. I typically laugh about people jumping on board with parenting books, but like so many other times as an adoptive parent, I stepped outside my comfort zone. It helped to better understand how to discipline without so much disruption. There was awesome information on diet and how it impacts her already altered brain chemistry. Altered brain chemistry meaning, it was altered by neglect during crucial stages in infant development. 


Why not one more cheese puff?

After finishing the book, I started a behavior and food journal. This will help to better better interpret behavior patters leading up to tough days. I also sat down one on one with Eli. I reviewed what he already knows. Sidney probably didn't get held and played with enough during her months in the orphanage. This is causing her to do some unpredictable things. I also let him know he isn't going to get into trouble for reacting, if she is hitting or pinching. I reassured him, we are trying to take steps to help her become less impulsive.  
 
Only my good friend Jill could create a 50 yard line of carrots and dip.
 We are making efforts to decrease chaos during the school week. I remember at almost 4, Eli had difficulty with more than 1 activity outside the house per day. I started thinking about how this impacts a child like Sidney. Tom and I have begun coordinating his side work on nights opposite Eli's activities. This decision includes pulling her back out of Wednesday tumbling while Eli takes taekowndo. This allows Sidney one on one time with Tom while I watch Eli and keep her from the chaos.
 
Mom, this game is making me tired.

So, this is where we are so far, and I will continue to post updates, on how things are going as they come up. I am more than happy to openly share, because there is a lack of information available on sensory stuff.

Like so many other things, we see incredible strides in other areas. It only makes sense, where one area falls behind another excels. I will keep you in the loop in the coming days. Thanks for listening!














2 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks again for sharing. I'll be picking up a copy of The Connected Child soon!

The Drinkwaters said...

Hi, I have stopped by your blog many times over the past year and commented once or twice (Guangxi Mama from RQ).

I too, really enjoyed reading "Thw Connected Child". I understand you hesitation to simply begin reading many random books. However, I have found that "The Out Of Sync Child" and "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun" are two great books on sensory challenges for children.

The second book, in particular offers lots of fun activities to do together that help build those brain connections and fill sensory needs. My husband and I found these two books very helpful for our oldest daughter.

Hope this is ok to suggest.