Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Disability?

I signed Sidney up for 4 yr old preschool today. Instead of feeling sad about how quickly the last two years passed, I was thrilled. Education is a reminder God’s will was certainly different for our daughter than the first 16 months of her life.
Eli's standing in  front of the crowd during his Boy Scout cake auction. His version of the moon raised $60 for his pack.


While I sat tediously filling out the many forms required, I noticed the dreaded disability question. I have to remind myself Sidney is considered special needs, so I thought about leaving it blank. In fairness to the school, I know it’s medically necessary. Fast forward to the portion asking if her disability limited her in doing anything, my answer was a resounding no. I think the pictures below are proof positive; we are not concerned about her ability to function in an educational environment.

Waiting to tumble. Hey mom, why did you forget to fix my pant leg?
It’s funny, this word (disability) has come up twice this week. As I sat talking about Sidney with another parent, we discussed how far Sidney has come in the last couple years, and her VERY big personality. There’s a lot packed into 36 inches. With this very big personality, it’s easy to forget she has anomalies. But, I know not everyone lives in our world. They don’t have the luxury of simply forgetting it’s part of her makeup, but it has no bearing on our everyday life. Maybe that’s why I don’t like hearing the word roll off peoples tongue so easily. And bless her heart, she’s really nice. There was no ill intent, but I will be honest in saying, I can’t stand the word. 

Sorry, I was back on my soapbox. Time to tune back into D*ance M*ms. I would like to see the teacher do a couple of routines. People pay for that? Sorry, I’ve only tuned in a couple of times before tonight. Now it’s totally sucking me in.

No comments: