Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Much as I hoped, down time was awesome over the holidays. It meant extra time for mom to read a couple of books. I’ve heard such positive information on “The Connected Child,” so I am in the middle of reading it.  I am not typically one to jump on the bandwagon with suggested book titles, but it’s helping me to sort out Sidney’s behavior, as well as broaden my understanding of neglect and its profound impact on a developing mind. It’s a relief to better understand we are headed in the right direction as we navigate new situations in daily life.
One sniplet left from Christmas...when your husband insists you pose for a photo wearing ALL your Christmas gifts!
Today, in preschool, I noticed Sidney’s name was moved to a different square on the carpet as I discussed with the teacher before break. She’s sitting in the back corner next to the teacher’s assistant. This means, she doesn’t have anyone within reach. Standing in line, or sitting on the carpet square listening to the teacher, or really any down time between activities, is hardest. She tends to pick at the kids around her. It’s never intentionally hurtful, but she lacks the ability to completely understand body basics. I don’t think our situation differs much from other families raising children with a similar history. 


Tonight, as Sidney sat in her footie pj’s with the feet cut off so she can feel the floor, and prevent slips and falls with her limb difference; I asked her “do you know what mommies going to do with this?” I showed her my hand. “I’m going to take a little bit of tough from here, a little bit of cantankerousness from here, and a little bit of sassy” I said as I tickled her behind the knees and in her armpits, listening as she squealed in laughter, “and you’re going to be great! It’s going to be hard work, but we’re going to get there. Your great now, and I think when mommy and daddy are done taking away these little pieces, you’re going to be amazing!”

No comments: