Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Diva Visits the Dentist


Sidney and mommy have survived dental work. After taking happy medicine Monday night before bed,  and the following morning, we were off to fix two cavities. Our dentist was kind enough to prescribe a light sedation.  We decided it’s in her best interest to maintain a level of comfort in medical situations. Up to this point, we haven’t experienced fear, and we don’t want to start. A loopy and relaxed Sidney sat in her car seat, on the way, saying “it looks funny” to nothing and no one in particular. 

Guess what I found and decided to add to my dress up clothes? My brothers old outfit.
Obviously, a parent is discouraged from going back into the treatment area. Thankfully, Sidney recognized the hygienist from her cleaning. In this particular situation, we felt it best to be on the receiving end as the good guy. As an added benefit, all the treatment banks are open. I could hear everything going on from my seat.

I was absentmindedly looking at Kim K’s ended wedding photos when the dentist came out. Wow? He never does that. He let me know she was numb. No screaming? No hysteria? No craziness? I began to relax, knowing my girl was once again a complete trooper. Five seconds later I heard crying. It was the noisy drill. It’s an odd sensation. I kept thinking, if her mouth is open, they can get in, and get the work done quickly. Knowing Dr. John is very gentle, I gripped my magazine, and willed myself not to cry. I felt terrible. During hand reconstructions, she’s always asleep when the IV goes in. 

Let’s say she wasn’t happy with mom afterward, nor did she think the two stickers and plastic ring were large enough tokens for getting two fillings. But, the great thing about kids is their resiliency. By dinnertime, she was recounting the story, and proudly showing off her fillings. As we talked, I asked her if the shot hurt. When she didn’t immediately respond, I decided to change my approach. “Did you get a shot from Dr. John?” Sidney’s face grew a bit puzzled. “I didn’t get shots Mommy.” Awesome! The dentist was able to numb her gums with “special water” and was so gentle, she didn’t know the needle went into her mouth. It’s easier to explain putting up with the noise of the drill than the pain of getting another shot. Our dentist let us know the other side looks like it will eventually need treatment.

And tonight, she back belting out tunes into microphone demanding an audience while standing in front of the TV. Off to get something done.

No comments: