Friday, November 18, 2011

Catching Up


It seems like each time I turn around, I hear a pint sized hack coming from Sidney. She’s got the crud. Our PA checked everything out on Tuesday and said it’s a virus. Great, that means no antibiotics, but on the downside, she has to wait until it passes. As my mom said almost each and every time I was sick as a kid, 7-10 days for a cold. 

Finding good cold medicine is a feat. Allow me to step on my soapbox for a brief moment. Isn’t it the FDA that banned all the really good stuff? I believe so. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t like to give medication needlessly, but it sucks to see your child miserable while simultaneously hearing the nurse say, “it’s actually good she’s coughing. It will get all that stuff up.” I can’t believe I didn’t think of my tried and true method of cold relief, prior to calling the nurse. Vics rubbed into the feet. After Tom’s mom shoved it inside his nose, as a kid, I can’t imagine a dab on the feet will hurt. However, it does explain many things about Tom. 

Sidney's constant sweet tooth. No Sidney, you may not eat the items needed for the bizarre.
Speaking of Tom, where is Tom? Tom is working, nonstop. He finally paused last night after his regular job and came home in the evening. Anymore, than 2 nights of extra work is tough for the kids. Everyone is out of sync. He is typically not gone this much, but we know this is the time of year we have to make the proverbial hay. It’s what I have come to refer to as my season of singleness. In a couple of weeks, the phone will quiet down again, and we will have our evenings as a family.  

While Tom works a gazillion hours, I’m hurrying around getting ready for Eli’s fall school bizarre and baking for Sunday morning coffee hour in church. Our proceeds are going to a person serving on one of the Mercy Ships from our congregation. This particular organization does wonderful work, providing a mobile hospital to serve people with untreated medical conditions. In our culture we live blissfully unaware of what happens if, cysts and tumors are not removed immediately, or cleft palate surgery is not available until 40 years of age. And I admit, I knew the percentage of people without access to medical care in Africa is great, however I was still surprised by the following statistic: 50% of people in Africa have no access to doctors or hospitals.  Knowing she is serving as a surgical nurse, to help this underserved population, makes it easier to whip out several dozens cookies. 

So the only other person in our family I haven’t reported on is Eli. His class went to the ballet yesterday to see the Nutcracker. When I asked if he enjoyed it and might like to go again (thinking this type of experience is beneficial for several reasons), he said “maybe.” This was only after reporting there were no men in tights. Much to his relief it was only women and children. Sorry, I am raising an all American boy.

Always proud of her creations from school.

OK, I’m off to resume my role as strict mom. Sidney was on the sad pad twice in school today. This is the second time since school started in August that we’ve had a rough day. When she gets in this frame of mind, she’s not listening to anyone. She was doing VERY well prior to this incident. It seems taking away cartoons is the best way to get our point across. This is still our punishment of choice with Eli. Believe me, it’s also punishment for mom, but she’s got to learn, she can’t bully herself into getting her way.

OK, I’m really done now

No comments: