Friday, September 9, 2011

Career Mom

 A person never knows what will happen between the hours of waking and putting head to pillow the same night. On Monday, I will go back to work for the first time in 9 years. A position opened in Eli’s school for an Office Manager. Like a sissy, I applied and withdrew my resume. I was scared. 9 years is a long time to stay home. I thought I was making the right decision for Sidney’s emotional wellbeing, but were we really doing what’s best for her emotional needs? Or was I making the decision based on my stubbornness? I had it in my head I wasn’t going back to work until she was done with preschool and onto kindergarten in two years. My patient husband reminded me to think into the future about having Christmas break; snow days, every other week, and the coveted summer break off over the next several years.
  
So, I decided not to be stubborn and at least go to the interview. I’m glad I did. This will be a positive step for our family. But don’t fear, I will still be blogging. There should be some excellent experts coming up as we make this large transition in our family. After all, Eli screamed out loud, when he heard his mother was going to be in the same building on a daily basis. And it was not a scream of joy. It was one of sheer terror! Poor kid, after all, once every six months, we will have to interact with one another. After all, there is the lunch count, he has to bring down every now and again (can you see my rolling my eyes).

The largest motivator in my decision was the onsite daycare available for 3-4 year olds. Sidney is literally, as Tom reminded me “10 feet as the crow flies.” Thank you Tom for that visual. This is new, and I couldn't be happier. She loves spending time with the kids in the classroom and is so at ease with a large group. Tom and I have conversed on several occasions about her happiness and being with other kids. She thrives, and I know I will have a good balance between being home and being there. So, we are both ready. 

Stay tuned, there are more adventures ahead. And mine start tomorrow, building a business causal wardrobe from the ground up.

No comments: