Thursday, July 14, 2011

2 Years !!!

Yesterday, we we celebrated two years together as a forever family. I can instantly go back to the excitement. Lying in our Beijing hotel, in the middle of the night before flying to Changsha, the clock wasn’t moving fast enough. I was thinking sleep while you have the chance!  

Hey guys, you brought me all the way here, who are these crazy people?
And on the VERY turbulent plane ride early the next morning, it was like time stood still. Once the plane landed, around noon, everything was in fast forward. In a period of three hours, we were delivered to the hotel, wrapped gifts for the officials and orphanage workers, showered, and sat in the room looking at an empty crib until finally it was time to leave. One stop later, and we secured formula with the advice of three chattering clerks and several onlookers. 

At 3:30pm, we pulled through a small construction site and through gates to the civil affairs building. We walked into a small lobby and into an elevator. One short walk down a dimly lit hall, and there she was! 

In so many ways, being a mom the second time, was so much the same. Only the delivery room was on the other side of the world with circumstances so incredibly different.  



In the first two days, XiaXia (her orphanage nickname) didn't make a peep. Her grieving was intense with lots of sleep. Then, on the second day, mom got a smile and a couple of minutes later a laugh! We were on the right track. And I could see Sidney was thinking, now that I'm sort of past being afraid of this big bearded guy with a mop of blond hair, these two are fun! Each day she came out of her shell a bit more.
It never leaves my mind that someone had to suffer great loss and hardship in order for Sidney to be our daughter and sister. We pray whatever burdens and trials Sidney's birth parents face might be lifted. And if there is any feeling or sense things are alright, we pray they know all they wish was possible, in an impossible situation, has miraculously taken place. 

5 comments:

Jen said...

What a great way to describe it. I struggled a little yesterday to give voice to my thoughts about loss. I'm so thankful for Shiloh and at the same time I'm saddened for those who are missing out on the great blessing she is...Anyway, thanks for giving words to my thoughts.

Kristi said...

she was such a little bit!

Rachelle said...

I feel the same as Jen. I started a blog post yesterday, and then deleted it. It was all so emotional, raw, and I just could not find words to describe all I was feeling. A lot of joy, thankfulness, and sadness all rolled in one. There is so much joy that comes first from our children's stories of loss.. a bitter sweet beautiful exchange... all I know is Jesus holds it all.

Lisa said...

Well, I'll be the second totally agree with Jen. It is the most amazing bitter sweetness ever. Rachelle is so right that Jesus holds it all. I praise Him daily for leading us to KayLi. The rest I have to leave with Him.

I love the spray painted name art!

Renee said...

Cara, you just amaze me. You word your feelings with such grace and truth. I enjoy so much reading your blog and watching your family blossom. Two years ago with you, Tom & Sidney will forever be engraved on my heart. God bless you and your family. Happy Forever Family day.
God is truly wonderful and although I cant see all sides of our adoption journey, I confidently know who does...God. I too pray God will bless all our childrens' birth parents and give them peace.