Monday, May 30, 2011

Cake Blunders


About a month ago, I decided to get organized early. I instructed Eli to sketch out a picture of the birthday cake he had in mind. Two light sabers and lightening down each side with the phrase “Happy Birthday my 9 year old padawan,” seemed simple enough. Or so I thought. By midnight on Saturday, I gave up; deciding cake decorating is not my forte. But what happened to past years, recreating Sponge Bob and Dora? This time it was a bust.  I decided my sweet son only cared about what is going in his mouth, so I put the picture Eli drew on top of the cake and called it good. Photos of the cake were forbidden except at a side angle. I am too stubborn to give up. Maybe on Father’s Day I’ll make another attempt. I received a 4.0 cumulative GPA, completing an MBA. I recall arguing with an instructor about the B+ I received on a single assignment. My point being, I don’t give up easily. I can and will succeed decorating a cake. Eli was a great sport about the whole thing. Just a reminder of why I love my 9 year old Padawan so much. 

Tom just walked in a felicitously told me we need to turn on the oven. Eli said he would rather turn on the A/C. I’m right there with you buddy. Tom and I adamantly refuse to turn on the A/C when it cools down to the 50’s in the evening. It’s not unbearable, but you better believe, our resident heating and cooling man will have the A/C humming as soon as the evenings are warm again. 


And because my family is reading over my shoulder, they are pressuring me to include this last portion in the blog. Tom and Eli fished our local river twice over the weekend with our flat bottom boat. Tom doesn’t care about the actual fish. It can be a bottom sucking nasty fish. All Tom wants is the fight. He brought in a 20 pound carp. Tom repeated a similar mantra all weekend. “Hey, did you know I caught a 20 lbs. fish? Tom doesn’t care about what exactly he catches. It’s more important to a kid to actually catch something, so he tries to keep Eli’s interest by catching anything hooking onto his line. 


OK, off to finish working on curriculum for VBS.

No comments: