Friday, April 15, 2011

147 Million

During all this illness, I had the opportunity to watch a story on Dateline. I should preface this by saying, I don't typically watch adoption stories on mainstream news shows. They tend to glorify the negative in international adoption. This particular story was about a boy sent through various phases of custodial care in Russia. Ultimately, he came to the U.S., telling his story as a young adult. Enduring this kind of abuse is further evidence of the existence of evil in the world but proof someone mightier is looking out for the 147 million orphans of the world.

Of course, it caused my mind to go to Sidney's orphanage environment. Special needs separated from non special needs. This act alone speaks volumes. Sidney's crib was next to a sweet little girl with obvious developmental delays. At least, this is what I can interpret from the roll of film we shipped prior to travel. Watching this story was a reminder, Sidney was not in optimum conditions, but it could have been so much worse.

Talking about the orphanage reminds me, we are sending photos back to Sidney's orphanage. We plan on doing so at least every other birthday. According to my Chenzhou yahoo group, the orphanage takes great pride. Parents have visited on heritage tours 10 years after the adoption to find all photos carefully accounted for. Ultimately, I know there was a nanny that cared. I hear infrequently from people working in her orphanage on missions trips. They find us on our yahoo board. They always ask if we want pictures. I always ask if they could PLEASE find a photo of her nanny. There is great turnover in these situations, however there area also people who stay for decades. I want this person to know how very much Sidney is loved and continues to thrive.


OK, back to Jonah and the Whale and VBS. Did you know it is estimated the whale was around 20.5 ft?

No comments: