Thursday, March 3, 2011

Our Bubble of Happiness

Sidney has a visible special need. I don't write about it often. Unless we are at the doctor, or having some kind of medical procedure, I forget, and it is not on our radar. We are aware her condition is rare, and a majority of people have never seen anything like her hands. I can honestly say this was a source of anxiety prior to flying home, thinking about stares and stupid questions. My trepidation was for nothing.

There are still times a stranger stares a bit too long. I have noticed the response is typically the same from adults. First a person glances her way. When the person thinks mama bear is looking the other way, they take the opportunity to glare at her hands, feeling permission to stare. I find this irksome, because they would never have the nerve if she was an adult.

Kids don't know to ask prying questions about why, where, and how. They simply absorb what we tell them, "God made her this way. She can play the same way." This is typically the end. In this respect, adults have a lot to learn from children. I know there is a natural curiosity which takes place. Some kids even have a hint of fear in their expression. I totally understand, and it is ok. Looking and holding her hands helps them to understand. Sidney has such a VERY big personality, kids have about one second to process her condition before being thrust into some form of play.

And the majority of the time, we are in our happy blissful bubble. Everyone knows Sidney with the contagious smile that likes to run, jump, sing and dance, draw, and be a girly girl. They know the tiny ball of energy who won't take off her hand-me-down wonder woman costume to pick Eli up from school with her costume sticking out underneath her coat.

I share this, because as any parent in the special needs area of pediatric orthopedics is aware, it is such a manageable condition. I made the mistake of going on a waiting child list the other day. No, this is not an announcement as we are still recovering from the last adoption. All parents of adoptive kids with special needs see hope and possibility and not the child with the condition on the page. I see how fixable and easy these conditions are with great medical care, knowing we live an hour from one of the best pediatric orthopedics clinics in the United States. So for now, this is my way of letting people into our lives to better understand this sort of special need. I am hoping it helps another parent considering this particular special need. In this respect I might have done something to move another child out of the orphanage.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OOPS! That comment went through on Dustin's account...but you know it's from her "Auntie" Jill :)

Lisa said...

Somehow I think your "Bubble of Happiness" is simply going to stretch and encompass everyone Sydni chooses to let in!