Saturday, February 5, 2011

Daddy Time


Two kids and two pairs of shoes later, and we were out of the store in less than a half an hour. I am always grateful to find something quickly, especially when the second pair is half off. Sidney has so much enthusiasm for the smallest of things. As I pulled them off the shelf, she yelled out “oh, thank you mama!” It is a constant reminder of the unrecognized abundance in our culture. She constantly humbles Tom and I. While I write this, Sidney is under her favorite blanket with her Pillow Pet and bunny with her new shoes under the blanket. Getting them away from her to go to the orthopedist for her lift should be interesting. Her lift size stays the same and is updated every year. It is half the total difference in length between feet. 

I realize as I share all of this about Sidney’s condition that Tom and I are quite open about her special need and her story. This is something I have thought a lot about after discussing it online with adoptive parents of different backgrounds. I realized if we don’t share, we can’t advocate for special needs adoption or adoption period. There are realities of China adoption which can never be changed. I believe Sidney will understand my motivation when she is old enough to completely understand. 

"No, you may not turn the channel Mom."
While I am writing this, I am pretending I can’t hear Barney’s voice. I would be lying to say I didn’t care if he is on. His introduction into our home is really my own fault. One day I was desperate, trying to get a lot accomplished. I try not to rely on television to occupy my kids. However, all of us break. In desperation, I succumbed to his sappy sweet demeanor. It’s all been downhill since. 

Tom is off for a three day weekend, burning up unused vacation time. It has been bliss. Mom had extra time to swim laps, play PayDay with Eli, and generally enjoy spending uninterrupted time as a family. Yesterday, Sidney went to drop off daycare for a few hours while Mom and Dad ate lunch with Eli and watched a talent show and raffle. All proceeds go to Haiti which so awesome. Last year, they broke their previous record for fundraising. I am hoping this year is the same as the people in Haiti need us now more than ever. 


Last night, we celebrated a belated Chinese New Year. We live in a small rural area, so there is no large celebration. Instead, we ate in our local restaurant and visited for a brief period with the owner. They have a very interesting story having overcome many hurdles to find success in the United States. I have mentioned in the past, Sidney becomes a bit overwhelmed if someone is speaking Chinese in her presence. This occurred when three women were speaking Chinese last time we visited. This time our experience was completely different. As the owner began talking to Sidney, she transitioned from English to Chinese. As she spoke Chinese, instead of the same clinging and confused behavior we normally witness, a large smile spread across Sidney’s face. This was a positive step. 

OK, I am off to start working on choosing activities from the vacation Bible school curriculum which arrived this week. I have my work cut out for me, directing, but I am thankful for having a role in nurturing my kid’s faith and those in my community.  

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Have fun choosing your new VBS stuff! Such a fun way to serve.