Monday, January 17, 2011

More snow......

I think as China adoption parents, we spend a lot of time thinking about need. Tom and I were looking at a blog last night. Beautiful faces looked through the screen. Someone posted more photos of an orphanage. Photos like this are online everywhere and frankly, at times they haunt me. This feeling has only intensified since Tom and I returned with Sidney. A person thinks they can wrap their head around the need, but until it is all around you for two weeks in China and visible to you through online forums, blogs, and in your arms, a heart becomes heavy for the orphan. I don’t mean this to be depressing; it is just something that has weighed heavily on my mind. I constantly reexamine our role in all of this. What are the positive things I might do in my life to ease the burden of these children? I know I am not unique in my quandary. I write this because I have had time to think. Last year was such a blur of doctor’s appointments, working on issues with attachment, and the excitement of getting to know Sidney. I am snapping out of my contemplation and finding it hard to remain serious about too much as an over tired Sidney tickles her dad’s tummy. 

Today was a snow day. Thankfully, it was quite warm despite the snow. I was able to suite up Sidney while Eli prepared to throw himself back into the snow. He spent the weekend at a Boy Scout Polar Bear camp. His leader said he had an incredible time, and I know he enjoyed his time away. Last summer, he was supposed to go to the same camp but came down with 103 degree fever. He never has fevers, so the timing was strange. He was heartbroken, so I am so happy he finally got to go to the camp and have this experience. He will head back this summer. It is so cool to watch him, because unlike me as a child, he has zero anxiety about leaving mom and dad for a few nights.

OK, off to Netflix and Desperate Housewives. It’s sad but true. I have formed somewhat of an addiction. I’m off to Fairview.

No comments: