Saturday, January 15, 2011

Kitty ER

Sidney is rejecting the idea of a nap, so I guess now is a good time to blog. I can tell in so many ways my little girl is growing up. Now if we could only master potty training. Is there something in my water that makes any child I potty train reject the notion before turning 3? I am watching Sidney diligently coloring her KaiLan Color Wonders book. After spending 6 years with a boy, it still amazes me how much a girl does quiet activity. Those around us constantly say “she’s busy, isn’t she?” I keep responding yes, but I keep thinking about Eli. This time of year, I was counting the days until it was warm enough to spring him loose barefooted outside to root around in the dirt and wear himself out.

Today, I am especially appreciating how much energy Eli brings to our family. He is gone on a Boy Scout outing for the night. This is the first time he has spent the night without Mom and Dad or grandparents. Don’t let this statement fool you into thinking he was actually worried about staying apart from anyone in the family. We know he will be great. He is quite independent. According to my mom, he never shed a tear while we traveled to China. It makes being his mom especially easy. Tom said the car came to a hault, and Eli was ready to have him leave as soon as possible. 

It is a relaxing day by comparison to yesterday. Sidney and I had an adventuresome trip to the vet’s office. She wanted no part of our 13 year old cat Ralph being confined to a carrier. I knew the cat was quite ill as he was making messes uncharacteristic of his normal behavior and drinking too much water. The vet confirmed my suspicion, indicating a weigh loss of over 15 lbs a few years ago to a scrawny 10.5 lbs. He was also dehydrated. As she took vials of blood, and when she returned she had surprisingly good news. Ralph’s blood sugar was elevated but not considered too elevated to require insulin. While she was gone the tech prepared me for the worst, and I was prepared to make tough choices. Turns out he needs diabetic catfood (as I said on my FaceBook post yesterday, now I have heard it all). And the best part for my husband, known by everyone as a tightwad, is the food is the same cost.  In every other way, he is the picture of geriatric feline health. Turns out, this crisis might have been the catalyst (sorry, I couldn’t resist) for healthy feline living.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Sidney is just to darn cute. I can't say that I'm a fan of cats, but I do hope yours is back to normal soon.

Hunan Mommy said...

I was NEVER a cat person. Frankly, they scare me. Then Tom introduced me to this creature.