Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holiday Bedlam

 A possum on my deck has vacated the premises, so I can begin writing. What a nasty looking creature. As my friend made the approach to my back door, her normally friendly face became a wash of panic as she urged me to open the door quickly. I looked out to find a possum clinging to the rails of the deck.  As the creature lingered, totally unphased by my attempts to shoo it away, I made a phone call to animal control. It was playing possum (sorry, I couldn’t resist), and it refused to leave. This seemed odd, considering possum are nocturnal. I was told to contact the police, later finding out they only handle cats and dogs.  Another quick call, and Tom came home. Luckily, he was working in the vicinity. He showed up in enough time to find out it left.   

I am certain as my friend entered the safety of our home, she thought she was in bedlam. All matter of wrapping paper and boxes were strewn across the kitchen counter and table. We are in full holiday preparation mode. Eli is keeping me on schedule, giving me the number of days left each morning. Tom is working 14 hour days, so I am solo in preparation.

I typically take Sidney to drop off daycare in tight situations; however I have decided to keep her close by. With me running in twenty different directions getting ready for the holidays, she is displaying some anxious behavior. When something is different in our household, it becomes more pronounced. I have made a conscious effort to put things aside and focus on her. Eventually, the gifts will get wrapped and the to do list checked off. Tom will have added time off this week, so I am hoping the diversion and extra attention helps her feel secure again.   

On a totally unrelated topic, we are in the midst of receiving snow. It was awesome today, because I turned on a large overhead light outside and let them play in the snow after dark. It was light enough to play in the piles around our driveway, and the two of them thought it was the neatest adventure. I could barely get them inside. It is such a great way to get rid of excess energy. 

OK, more tomorrow when I have a minute.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Merry Christmas! Thinking of you guys!