Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summertime and the Living's Easy


I always feel like summer passes at mock speed. This summer is no exception. Eli is lamenting the quick passing of warm weather and no school. What a great thing to be a kid, playing outside for a 7 hour stretch, and eating lunch outside with the neighbor kids. It is so nice to enjoy a calm summer and no stress!


Swimming lessons are this week, and Eli loves being in the water. I can tell we need to spend lots of time there. It is great to have formal lessons, but time hanging out in the pool is what builds confidence. I am happy he is so comfortable and not terrified as was my mother’s experience with me. Sidney did not hesitate when I took her in the water. She loved it. For some reason, at the pool in particular, kids are very curious about Sidney. One kid said, “she looks Chinese.” Good guess!

We many times have children look at her special need and ask questions. Honestly, there are not many people in the world with three fingers on each hand. Typically kids just ask why. Our response is, because “God made her that way.” If there is the inevitable question of why God made her that way, we include, because "He just did." We also tell a lot of kids, she can do everything they can do with five fingers with only three. This is typically enough, and that is what I love about kids. It is an open and shut case. They get their answer and continue on. For this reason, I was surprised that a little girl brought her friend over after we had given this explanation. I had no problem telling her to go to the other side of the pool and stop bothering us. We don’t mind explaining, but there is no need for rude behavior. We typically are not outspoken, easily offended adoptive parents, but mom can only be pushed so far before she reacts.

OK, I am off to watch Adventures in Babysitting with Eli. Tom is explaining that the concept of the movie would now be obsolete, because the babysitter would have a cell phone. I feel officially old.

No comments: