Friday, July 23, 2010

Rainy Friday


1 Year as an American Citizen!


Waiting for yet another parade in a neighboring community. Our friends live on the parade route.


A photo of Dad, because he does exist.




I continue reliving my childhood as a pool rat. Both kids can’t wait to go, and I am not one to resist the water on one of our very hot and humid Midwestern days. This has become our alternative of choice, as opposed to becoming the next meal for one of the many mosquitoes in our backyard. Eli and Sidney both love the water. I have to watch Sidney closely. She would barrel over the side if given the opportunity. Unlike most moms sitting on the side, I slather myself in sunscreen, and jump in with the kids. I do all I can to make them zombies at bedtime. I actually talked to a mom the other day who commented that her kids get too tired swimming. Isn’t that the point?


We had a not so fun experience last night. Eli and his instructor were practicing diving into the deeper water a little over 5 feet. He is only 4’6”, so this is over his head. His instructor left him hanging on the side and took off to the other side of the pool to the next lesson. In the two seconds it took me to get to the side of the pool with Sidney on my hip, Eli said, “Mom look at how I can jet off the side.” He has not practiced treading water yet this summer. In an instant he was struggling to keep his head above water. What was most disturbing were the lifeguards who stood by doing nothing. I finally asked one to jump in. Eli was not in the least upset. He thought it was too funny that his mother was getting ready to hand off his sister to one of the lifeguards and jump in fully clothed.

Outside of our aquatic life, we are starting VBS on Sunday. I spent 2 years directing. This year, I am glad I did not take it on. I can see that after 2 surgeries and physical therapy our family needed normalcy more than anything. It has been neat to watch this normalcy continue to build the bond between Sidney and Eli. They have been close since she came home. Of course this was after a very rocky start with her jealous brother, dethroned after seven years in his kingdom. I think she will be sad when he goes back to school this fall.

Yesterday marked the 1 year anniversary of Sidney becoming an American citizen. As I wrote on my Facebook page yesterday, what a blessing that we live in a free country where she can do and be all that she dreams! We never take our freedom for granted and thank people like my Dad, who served our country, guaranting we continue to live in this great free country.

I think I better stop writing and pick up my living room. I am constantly amazed at the mess the two of them can create after one rainy day. I also think it might be a busy weekend for Tom as we have had several inches of rain in the area which causes people to pull out their furnaces and air conditioners with the threat of flooding.

1 comment:

TanyaLea said...

Happy 1 year citizenship Anniversary, Sweet Sidney! You are a beautiful little blessing!! <><

Hugs,
Tanya