Tuesday, April 6, 2010






I am finally getting my weekly blog completed after a busy weekend of Sidney’s birthday party and Easter on back to back days. 19 people squeezed into my house. After the surgery in January and upcoming dates in May, we were more than happy to have a day of fun. What I found most amusing is when it came time to blow out the candles; Sidney promptly hoisted her slight frame up on the kitchen chair, and stood poised, ready to blow out the candles. It was obvious she had witnessed this before. We have not celebrated a birthday since we have been home with candles, so it she must have seen this in the orphanage. Eliab assisted her in blowing out the candles.

Mom almost got a little misty thinking about what it means to celebrate a birthday with a family and extended family who love her very much. It was at this point I decided to use the email address the driver from the orphanage gave us on Gotcha Day to send updated photos. I have been going back and forth. I am not sure why. In the next couple of days, I will either send a framed photo or email something. Mailing might ensure it is printed off. I know from sending our package to Sidney prior to travel that items are received.

Eliab was happy for his sister, but again, learning the role of a big brother when the sibling is getting all the attention. Of course, it didn’t help that on the same night he “found out” (this is the only phrase I am using to describe what happened if any children are looking over your shoulder) about the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Santa simultaneously! I keep reminding him that he is the oldest and will get to do everything first. I tell him about when I was a kid about how my older brother Jason got to do everything first. Of course, as an adult, I am more than happy that he will turn 40 first.

Sidney’s next surgery is around the corner. May 6th, the doctor will complete reconstructive work on what she describes as the more complex of the two hands or her left hand. I feel at ease about the second procedure, knowing we are her parents for a reason. We have a gifted surgeon who did wonders with her first hand. I am certain other parents of special needs children will understand when I say that I am more at ease about the second procedure and looking forward to the results rather than dreading the time we are in the hospital.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl! Your hair looks great!

Renee said...

She is a cutie pie! Its hard to believe our spicy girls have come so far in such a short period of time. Happy Birthday Gal!!!

Lisa said...

How did I miss this? Happy Belated birthday Sidney!!! I know exactly what you mean about the second surgery....just get it done, so we can move forward. I also understand about the struggles of have an older child who is not used to sharing the spotlight. Emily is just now really settling into her new role. For awhile there, it was kinda rough even though she has always loved KayLi. She is just now realizing that life is ok even if it's not all about her. She's a wonderful big sister!