Monday, March 29, 2010

Oh What a Difference a Year Makes


On Tuesday, March 30, 2010, we will celebrate a year since finding out about Sidney. As I sat down at the laptop after church a year ago tomorrow, I began working on one of my work projects. Suddenly, the phone rang. Tom began a strange conversation on the other line. He mouthed the words "America World," while frantically writing down the words, "Hunan, girl, 1 year." When our agency began discussing Sidney's anomalies, Tom gave his standard line, "I better let you talk to my wife." As I tore the phone from his grip, my heart beat so fast I could feel it in my throat. Before I knew it, I hung up and was looking at the most adorable face looking back on the email. Some adoptive parents will readily admit they do not immediately fall in love with their child. Many children have a far off stare or something that does not register with parents. I can say none of this. We fell in love immediately. Two days after this phone conversation Sidney turned 1. If there are prospective special needs parents contemplating this process, it was a journey we took after a lot of prayer. When referrals came to us which were out of our capability, it was a gut wrenching and agonizing process but oh so worth what we got in return!


Tuesday is Sidney's birthday. She will turn 2 in a place so different from where she was last year at the same time. Her last birthday, mom was forcing her way into the doctors office. Our family doctor said, "I don't really have time today." "This MUST go back to China in 24 hours," I said. With a look of genuine concern (probably for my sanity), he said "let's go into my office."

After learning a bit more about Sidney's condition, we took a leap of faith. For the second time in my life, I have gained so much perspective on what is truly important in our family. The first was, of course, when Tom's mom passed away suddenly. OK, I am done with my kum by ya moment.

On a fun note, Tom and I got away for an entire night on Saturday. Sidney had her first overnight stay with her brother Eli at my parents house. BobBob/Gimpa Bob and Grandma Jean have always had some kind of rock star status with Eli. BobBob spent may hours playing with Sidney while Grandma Jean enjoyed a snuggle which I know was treacherous. Eli, always the independent child, said he was glad, because he "needed a break from Mom and Dad." Remember, when we left for China, he was more excited about moving to step 3 on his Lego kit than worried about saying goodbye. Sidney did very well with my parents and only broke into tears the next morning when she heard the word Mom. This was so great, because Tom and I have always made a point of getting away by ourselves. Today, I expected some kind of altered behavior, but she exhibited none of this.

Tom and I spent time at his schools annual Spring Fling. It is a fundraiser for the school. It was fun to enjoy of couple of glasses of wine and the hilarity that always ensues when we are hanging out with our friends down the street. The event had a luau theme. When we showed up, Jill was standing in all form of Hawaiian garb. To say she cracks us up is an understatement. I personally thought the plastic grass skirt was fashion forward.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It's been an awesome year! Love the Hawaiian look!

Jill Hickerson-Ridenour said...

Drinks and Cameras don't mix!
Love ya sista!

Jen said...

Fun to read a bit more of your story. What a great year!

Renee said...

It's been an awesome year for both our families. Sidney is so beautiful and she's just thriving in your home. It's awesome to read about; I'm so glad we got to share one of the most important times in our lives together ...Hunan in the summer 110 degree heat .... no just kidding... Hunan meeting our daughters for the first time.