Monday, September 7, 2009

Unwrapping the Layers of Our Daughter


My mom made a great analogy. She said watching Sidney is like unwrapping a gift layer by layer. We have watched her go from a child who barely uttered a sound during the first two days in Changsha, to learning she is not only developmentally on target but a total ham.

We recently developed a roll of film from a disposable camera from the orphanage. I mailed a package before we traveled. Only last week did I have the courage to finally see what it revealed. I was pleasantly surprised. To someone not versed in international adoption and the conditions of an orphanage, I am certain the building looks quite stark. To someone who has read and heard a lot from other families, her orphanage was clean, well lit, and had new toys. A new facility was built sometime during her 15 months in the orphanage, so we are not sure of what the conditions were prior to her moving into the new facility. We were disappointed not to receive photos of her caretakers who spent so many hours taking care of her, but I know someone took the time to fill the film and get down at her level to take close-ups in several different places in a play room.

We also have a photo of her crib with its small bamboo mat. We know this is cultural and does not reflect on her care. I wonder if they have better lower lumbar health. Her crib was quite shallow. This might be wishful thinking, but when we were in Changsha, she slept in an identical crib. I was constantly on guard watching her stand up and making sure she did not bail over the side. Is this a sign she spent a little less time in the crib? Wishful thinking, I know but a small shred of hope. The photo also reveals a child in the crib next to Sidney’s with an obvious developmental delay. As I look at Sidney bound around our home, I wonder what will become of this child.

In the photos I saw the expression of a girl which was in stark contrast to the smiling happy child we now see. Though the conditions of her orphanage were good, the love is not available with too many children and too few hands to hold, rock, and love. There is not a hint of a smile on her face, and only now have we begun to see the true joy which marks the face of a child. She received necessary care to sustain life and bonded with the children around her.
We have hope that she was part of the Half the Sky program which donates needed items. We saw beautiful toys that we are certain must have been part of this program. I plan on submitting paperwork to the nonprofit to find out if they have growth reports on Sidney. This will take several months but will continue to unwrap another layer.

A quick update on Sidney’s medical information. We gave a great pair of New Balance to an orthopedic office in Waterloo. A 2 cm lift will go in the shoe until her appointment in 10 months for the full 4 cm. Again, we see the hand surgeon in November.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love this analogy! My mom made a similar comment. She said that so much is new for KayLi that it's like taking her to Disneyland everyday because she gets so excited over the simplest things!

I'm glad that you received your camera full of pictures to help tell Sidney her story. It may not be what you were hoping for but so many never get those pictures. Praise God for the glimpse into her past.

Many Blessings,
Lisa

Shari said...

I have commented before and yes I do live close - CR. Sounds like Sidney is progressing well. My niece has a small lift in her shoe (well she is supposed to wear one but she's 16). My sister found some on-line that just adhere to the inside of the shoe. They probably aren't the best, but help with "cute" shoes.