Monday, April 1, 2013

The Craziness of LIfe


I wish I could sum last week up easily, but I don’t think I stopped in any one place long enough to think about what was going on. The week started with saying goodbye to the kids for a night in Rochester, MN where Tom’s dad had surgery for cancer. We are VERY relieved that his surgery was successful. On the shuttle driving to the hospital we received a phone call from Tom’s aunt that his grandma had passed away.

To avoid confusion, I’ll let you know Tom’s parents were divorced when he was around six or seven, so both his parents remarried shortly after. His mom passed away seven years ago, however her husband (now remarried, are you confused yet?) maintained contact with his grandma even while she had dementia in the nursing home. Knowing her condition, it wasn’t a huge shock, and we are mostly relieved for her not having to stay in her previous mental state.

That being said, we left Rochester after two nights. His dad was in the ICU for a period of time. It wasn’t anything life threatening, but it’s never fun to hear someone is stuck in intensive care. We also had Eli’s first communion in church on Maundy Thursday. Eli said as we walked into the entrance of the church, “Tonight I become a man.” Not quite buddy.
Waiting for the egg hunt with Eli's early morning bedhead.

On Good Friday, we had the funeral for Tom’s grandma. This was only after Tom went to the visitation Thursday night before Eli’s first communion. Thereafter things settled into a normal pace for about 12 hours until Saturday morning when we prepared for Sidney’s birthday which took place on Easter.
Why couldn't the Easter bunny bring me a
Miss Piggy matchbox car?
Today I have been informed there were not enough people at her party. I told Sidney I assume receiving and Easter basket and opening presents wasn’t really fun, so maybe I should take them back. Let’s just say I received a contradictory expression in return. March 30th was also four years since we received Sidney’s referral. I couldn’t ever have imagined God would put a girl such equal parts sweet and sassy into my life.
Happy Birthday my sweet girl!

No comments: