Wednesday, October 10, 2012

And so are the days of our lives...

If there’s a word misspelled or a statement that doesn’t make sense, I apologize in advance. Mom cracked her glasses in half at the nose piece this week (whereby much cursing ensued), and I’m relying on a pair that I wore when Eli was born. Yes, 10 years old. I feel like drawing the blinds and staying in my house until the new pair is selected and on my face. Let’s just say the older pair isn’t doing me any favors.
Mom is working, working, working, and it’s been amazing for the balance in our home. I’m sure there are more capable stay at home mom moms out there, however if I have a period of three hours to get something done I’m going to find a way to put it off. If I only have half an hour, I’m busting it out at record speed. With this newly found sense of urgency in our household,  mom is no longer picking up after people, kids are taking ownership for their rooms, and basically doing what they should have been doing all along. I notice it was easier to simply do it myself, however that was a greater disservice to my kids. Besides, I told Eli if he ever gets married, he’ll be fully trained for his wife.  To that I received a huge eye roll. And I’m not beyond rewarding my kids for helping around the house. I have a couple of tricks up my sleeve I’ll post about another day.
 
Dad's been busy with the fall heating season, so he's seems extra fun when he has five minutes.  
Ah, my trombone player. It’s been quite a school year for Eli. If you recall (I think I wrote about it), he was struggling the beginning of the year with a different teacher and higher expectations. My belief is that he was hurrying to get his work done, and he couldn’t see. We took him in for an eye exam and found out he has moderate nearsightedness. Poor kid has probably been struggling to see a long time. I thought he would be excited, but instead he was hesitant prior to the exam, saying he probably wasn’t going to need them. After the doctor made a comment about guys needing tools for things, and glasses being tools for your eyes, he was on board. We are waiting to get the glasses, and we will post a photo or the big reveal!
And onto the little torpedo. School is still smooth. I’ve been reassured if anything is going on the teacher will let me know. Last night was an example of how far we’ve come. We went to a puppet show for 4 year olds in our school district.  The entire hour was sitting on the rug. I don’t think she would have tackled someone on the rug or started poking at them, but based on the extreme nature of her sensory issues last year, I can imagine she might have gotten up and started running around. Instead, she sat completely mesmerized by what was going on in front, only to get up and come to me when the monkey took center stage. In her defense, he was kind of creepy.
Off to finish up some work and hope the extended care can take Sidney this afternoon while I go pick out new eyes. She decided to wake up at 4am, and guess who decided to take a nap at 7:30AM?

No comments: