Monday, June 4, 2012

Diva Visits the Dentist II



Sidney, Eli, and I were off to the dentist early this morning. She had two more cavities to fill. A combination of giardia and general lack of nutrition in the orphanage left her teeth susceptible to cavities. 

My China cousin AnDee is awesome. So's my cousin Andrew with all this candy at his graduation party!
 From what we can gather there were many, many meals of congee with “meat and vegetable mineral.” If I had to wager a guess, she either never had meat with vitamin replacement. Lately, we’ve been able to persuade her to eat meat. She’s always talking about being little. Obviously being only 37 inches and 27 lbs. doesn’t interfere with her ability to do anything. However, I tell her “you want to grow up big and strong, right?” When she responds to the affirmative, I’m able to get her to eat it.

Hey mom. Do you notice a recurring theme today? Sugar! Mom never lets me get away with this much in one day!
Right now I’m watching a slightly groggy Sidney engrossed in a cartoon. Last time she fell asleep immediately following the appointment. She’s kind of stumbled around all morning. She’s given medication for a couple of reasons. Most important, she will have surgeries as she gets older. How many, we don’t know. For now, her hands look good; however we want her comfortable in a medical environment. Fear only makes a child unable to cooperate. So, our doctor prescribes something we give her at bedtime the night before and an hour before the appointment. There are still tears, and she’s still not happy, but she doesn’t fight them, content to sit while they do their job. 

Vying for Grandpa & Grandma's attention. s
Eli was a trooper. Again, he wanted to come along for her appointment. There’s an element of comfort having another kid along. He’s so protective, he wasn’t going to have it any other way. I explained beforehand, she was going to cry, but she was not in pain. I could tell as he heard things in back going on, he wasn’t happy about his sister. But, he’s a stoic guy. I’m not sure why, because nobody has to guess how I’m feeling at any given moment. So, he sat there quietly, but I could tell he was relieved when her appointment was done.

Can our cousin Andrew have a carnival themed graduation party every day?
 Ok, off to the routine of the rest of my Monday.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Between the boys, they came home with 14 teeth in need of repair! So glad they are now able to get all they need.