Monday, May 14, 2012

May 14th


 I’m looking at my laptop screen. It makes the world seems incredibly small. A scrapbook is sitting in front of the Chenzhou orphanage staff.  Our page is inside the book, as well as many other adopted kids from Sidney’s orphanage.  A family traveled, generously offering to put this book together. It was a privilege to send updated photos of Sidney with Eli, as well as photos which unintentionally showed close-ups of her hands. I want them to see her hands were treated, but most importantly, I wanted the page to reflect the transformation from the tough little cookie we met in Changsha to a happy, carefree child.  


So, while I look on my computer and see the smiles, my mind also drifts to the city of Chenzhou. Four years ago today, a small girl, estimated at 6 weeks old was found in the outpatient department of Chenzhou Hospital No. 3. A security guard named Ningxia found the tiny bundle dressed in a warm coat and pants with a bag of pampers. This tiny possibly premature baby was very ill. After the police were called, and exhausted a search for the person who left her, she was taken to the Chenzhou Children’s Welfare Institute. 

I don’t ever forget the date she was found. It’s the only connection I have between our family and her birth family. What circumstances lead to their actions? We will never know. At least not in this life. We can guess. An ice storm took place the month prior. Lacking the infrastructure to assist it’s people, many suffered in the aftermath. At an estimated 6 weeks old, we know someone struggled with this decision. It’s impossible for me to imagine the desperation a person must feel. Yet, I will never judge the actions of a person facing societal pressures I a person can’t contemplate living in a society of vast resources.  


I know the same God that orchestrated the forming of our family also watches over the people in her birth family. I pray they don’t lack what they need on a daily basis to survive, and they have an overwhelming sense all is very, very well with their beautiful little girl.

No comments: