Tuesday, January 17, 2012

BBBBRRRRR

Tonight we were counting from a Dora book Grandma JeanJean gave Sidney for Christmas. Sidney started peeling back her fingers….1….2…..3…..”I can’t go any farther, because I just have little hands.” There was no trepidation, no emotion, just a matter of fact statement of the obvious.


Tom wonders if she understands her hands won’t grow into a five fingered hand. Like many other things growing up, we will let her realize this in her own time. For now, she’s only aware of the casts she had. Her typical response (and the only time she’s allowed to use the word hate) is “I hate cast!!!!” And I look across the room at Eli cringing. Yes, he’s sympathetic about his sisters need for reconstructive surgeries, however he is thinking of the pain involved in receiving an accidental strike from the fiberglass cast. I have to admit, I’ve been on the receiving end, and I almost saw stars.


In April, we will determine if there is a next step in treating her hands. Scar tissue is causing her finger to remain in a bent position. This is the hand which originally had syndactyly between two of her three fingers. As much as I want to leave her hands completely alone, given how well she functions, I know we can’t leave her finger in a permanently bent position. 


OK, off to scrounge up some dinner. I'm freezing. Sidney and I spent the day in small increments going outside. There's no keeping your kids indoors when snow awaits. And that means mom is outside too, so she is beat.

No comments: