Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving

I had a delightful post started on the many reasons I have to be thankful, but that was before mom was quarantined to her bedroom with strep throat. I am feeling good enough to be bored but bad enough that I can’t get up and do a bunch of stuff. I was completely dumbfounded when the nurse came into the exam room with a positive test. Really? I haven’t had strep throat in at least 29 years. Adults get strep? I am grateful I was able to enjoy Thanksgiving Day with my in laws before getting sick. However, I had to miss my moms Thanksgiving yesterday, and that was a major downer. Tom took the kids over, and they enjoyed the day while I went to the doctor and slept.





NutterB*tters, kisses, and chocolate chips, adhered with chocolate frosting. I thought my acorns were an adorable addition to Thanksgiving.

My inlaws house, concentrating on go fish.





I didn't go to the doctor until Saturday, so on Friday, I was attempting a more psychological approach to my healing, thinking "I am NOT getting sick." 

Tom planned on going car shopping. Something we both dread. I think I might rather have a crown put on at the dentist. No matter what, you feel like your getting ripped off. And it doesn't help that I am a former auto loan collector. I know about dealerships, and what I know isn't the positive side.

We test drove a few cars. Of course the dealer didn't know the price tag on the car we wanted was $2k less online. They had to honor it, but I still wasn't happy. After all, we are tightwads. And the dealer grew weary but put up a good fight. I wasn't able to get him below the clean trade in value. I said "you will learn, I am impossible" as he chimed in with a canned response saying "no, no, that's great! Your on your toes." I'm sure he was thinking something which included cursing.

And as for Eli? He's glad he can stop telling the Nissan it's going to the scrap yard. I typically pat the dash as the transmission lurches, saying "good girl" while Eli simultaneously tells the car "your going to the scrap yard!" And as for Sidney? She isn't happy with the color. She wanted it to be pink and purple two tone. She was careful to tell me "both colors mommy." 

Eli chilling out at Grandpa Steve & Grandma Sheryl's before the big Thanksgiving feast.


Tom and I could have bought a car a long time ago, but frankly, we didn't see the practical value. My car ran, and it wasn't until this fall it actually had huge issues. I don't like to waste resources. That, and neither of us could see anything we really liked. It's kind of an issue of principal. It's not hurting anything, we aren't wasting money, and we do not try to keep up with the Jones. I refuse to spend my life in pursuit of material possessions. Sorry, but a person will never find happiness. That being said, I was applauding as I drove it. Well, not while driving, but you get my point.

Wish I had something else more exciting to report, but this laptop and reruns on Netflix are really all I have seen the past couple of days. OK, I’m off to shop any remaining deals online for Christmas. I need to feel productive, even if it’s from the comforts of my bed with a sore throat.

No comments: