Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkins and Pokes

Friday – finally! This stay at home mom is excited for a husband not working over the weekend. It sounds too good to be true. Just as I say this, someone will call with a heating emergency. It’s been a long week. 

We had Sidney’s three year old well child checkup. Yes, we are very behind getting it completed. By the time she turned three, we were maxed out on the doctor’s office. She’s 5% on height and weight. My tiny peanut will always be petite. Our doctor assured us again, as long as the curve is upward, she is fine. This was also on the American growth chart. We talked a lot about eating. He was able to give us a couple of ideas. For now, we have seen some positive changes. 

Immunizations were also updated. Ouch! Mommy felt terrible. She screamed. I know, we’ve completed two hand reconstructions, but she is sleeping when the IV is put into her arm. I can’t stand the pause between the “what’s she doing” as the nurse rubs on the alcohol swab and the scream two seconds later. I call it a necessary evil. After the shots were done, she commented as the nurses walked out, “they did naughty.” 

We are finishing football this weekend. Eli’s excited it’s about to end. I think it’s an experience he’s not repeating next year. Tom and I supported him, trying out a new activity, but his interest remains in Taekwondo, Legos, and the 4th grade Foss kit. “We dissected owl pellets today. Listen, Mom. I’m going to explain how the owl vomits. It’s not like a human.” And if you are a queasy person, skip the next sentence. “It doesn’t splatter.”  

As long as he’s happy, we’re happy. He’s had a rough week. I will spare the details, but let’s just say bullying is alive and well. Only now, the teachers are faster to swoop in. This is one of the only times he’s experienced it, so it was upsetting, to say the least. 

The photo above is the only decent picture I captured during our visit to buy pumpkins. Notice how much less cooperative my children are this year versus last year. In last years photo, Sidney and Eli look like to angels on either side of mom. This time, Eli couldn’t manage to stand nicely while Sidney turned her back. They are tired of mom’s camera, but it’s not going away. Sidney had a great time until her wagon load of pumpkins rolled down the patch owner’s steep driveway into the street. Excuse the quality. I’m having issues with my camera, so all my photos suck. I think I might be investing in something new. 

Off to finish Eli’s Halloween costume. He’s Anakin Skywalker. It’s basically a brown robe. I’ve never sewn an actual garment. Maybe quilts but never something to wear. It was a risky move. Let’s just say, I’m happy people will see it from a distance. It was good practice. As you can see after my brief day working, I have settled back into a good routine. Many things have pointed in the direction that I made the right decision. Not that I needed a sign, but sometimes it’s nice to see the universe align.

No comments: