Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rain, Relaxation, and Raccoons


Our humble abode.

We survived 8 nights of camping within the confines of a 10 x 6 ft. popup camper. Given it’s dimensions, you now understand we don’t camp in something requiring its own zip code. Who wants to clean something so large on vacation?  Tom, my “husband wife” (term my mother coined on the phone this morning as she bragged up his 50/50 parenting style…….is that like a sister wife??? I hope not!) began planning this adventure last February.Tom was like a train run out of control, letting me know he thought 8 nights was the perfect amount of time. If that sounds like a long time, remember I talked him out of 9 nights. Given his stress level with work, I decided to suck it up. I tried to have a GREAT attitude, but 8 nights? What about a coffee pot and wireless internet? Maybe your own zip code is a good thing? After a couple of days waking up to freshly percolated camp stove coffee, sitting with Sidney bundled in my lap outside, I suddenly became so relaxed, all the day to day stress quickly slipped away. 

Mom, quit squeezing me, and LET ME DOWN!!!
 During the course of our adventure, I gained an intimate understanding of the state park's verminous raccoons. On one of our first nights, it seemed they were only a novelty, innocently looked down from a high tree. After tying our coolers closed, a 2:30am visit was paid by our furry neighbor. What ensued was a battle between man and beast over the next 7 nights. It seems putting the food in our vehicle wasn’t enough. As soon as we shut the camper door each night, we heard rustling around. We were unphased, knowing everything was safely put away. That’s when our furry friend turned foe took it to the next level. With both kids asleep and head to pillow I began to drift off in the cool night air. I bolted awake, hearing sniffing at the front door.  I could barely stifle my screaming to avoid alarming the kids. 




Our only reprieve was Wednesday night with heavy thunderstorms complete with wet pillows and blankets. Thank you Wal-Mart for cheap DVD’s to entertain my children in a pinch while the campsite dried out.  Let me say once again, our wisest investment to date was a small DVD player. Say what you will about the value of communing with nature. I find value in my sanity. This freed time to quietly read a ridiculous chick lit novel and play cards with Tom. I was ready to check into a hotel, but one call to my mother, our week long meteorologist, and we learned sun was in the forecast! 

Acting like I'm fishing so I can pretend we're on River Monsters.
 


Is it really miniature golf when your 3?
And as a concession to coming home one night early due to impending severe weather, we rented a paddle boat and explored the beach. This was only after locking our keys in the car while packing up. Thank you to the kind ranger in the park who supplied my husband the proper tools to avoid calling a locksmith. I found this relieving and frightening all at the same time. 


2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Looks like fun! Glad you survived and glad your back!

Ginny said...

hey girl I saw your comment that you were going to read the book until you saw an expert on Youtube. What did you see? email me because I am curious - ginnyhenderson@hotmail.com