Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Mayhem

Our summer is flying by. A small portion of our kitchen is taken up by all matter of VBS materials as I work in preparation for the event next month. Everything is completed in large quantities. 70 foam crosses with 70 silver heating and cooling duct tape crosses, 150 nametags, 50 whales. It’s like a sweat shop. I am not the only one working feverishly, and I am so happy there are so many people I was able to hand so many things. It’s great to see people helping willingly. Sidney is convinced all this stuff I am working on means it’s time for her birthday again, and I’m collecting supplies.


Moondough....never has Sidney loved something more.
Sidney finishes summer preschool this week. This will create more hours for outside play. I think she might sleep outside, if we didn’t have to come in for the night. For a child who couldn’t put her feet in the grass two years ago, we have come a long way! And the best part, she is just like her mom as a small kid. She doesn’t care if she gets dirty! Our bathtub is getting a good workout. Eli is spending an equal amount of time outside. I love this time of year. Both kids are exhausted at bedtime!


Outdoor time for Eli also means a new group of kids. This has an impression on Eli, and it isn’t positive. I share this, because parenting doesn’t get easier. Of course, that’s an obvious statement. He is definitely testing his limits. Whatever the cause, a lack of structure and schedule in school, it’s unacceptable. He knows his boundaries, and they have been met several times this week. I felt like a mother starring in an after school special. “The pressures to follow the things your friends do aren’t going to get easier. Soon, it won’t be stupid things around the yard like pushing over your sister’s fort, because your friends think it’s cool. You will be 15, and they will be trying to hand you a cigarette.” 

My kids know I am not their friend. I tire quickly of parents that avoid all matter of discipline in order to seem cool or get along with their kids. I also watch in horror as they are completely run over. There are moments misbehavior needs to be squashed, to maintain control in the future. I sense the same type of parent misses these important opportunities and doesn’t get the nagging pit in their stomach. I feel this pit each time I know we need to conquer misbehavior in order to prevent it in the future. 


As for Sidney, she has made a new friend. It’s so fun to sit outside and watch how happy she is to have a playmate. Of course, playtime is typically broken up by someone needing to go home and use the potty or naptime. Two three year old girls after lunch swaying around, attempting to stay awake while simultaneously sucking their hand/fingers. Our neighbor finally succumbed to sleep and told Sidney who refused defeat “nap time!” She did an about face and trudged back inside while Sidney was standing there looking surprised. 

Off to the grocery store and to cut out another 100 of something and watch the skunk rocker on the Wonder Pets.  Am I the only one that thinks it’s absolutely hilarious?   

No comments: