Monday, November 22, 2010


Everyone remembers the beginning stages of the adoption process. Handing over check after check. In our case handing over check after check of our life savings.  In the midst of this, we needed a new couch. Not wanting to spend the money on something expensive, and prioritizing our savings for the adoption, we sucked up our pride. We knew our money was going to a better cause. A used 1980’s era couch graced our doors. It was butt ugly. While I bemoaned its presence, Tom loved the couch. It was long enough to fit his frame for a good nap. I was horrified by its presence. Skirting around it, I was forced to finally sit down.  Though we found different used furniture during the three year period we waited, Tom insisted the ugly couch stay in the back of the living room. Our living room is a long space, so if I arranged the nicer furniture in the opposite direction, I didn’t have to look at it. After much begging and cajoling, I was finally able to convince Tom we no longer needed this piece of “vintage” furniture.  On Saturday, when I was helping with a fund raiser at Eli’s school, he was able to maneuver it onto my dad’s trailer by himself. I am overjoyed!

This furniture moving took place while Tom took over childcare duty for the day. While I was cashiering all matter of crafted items, Tom took the kids out for breakfast. This is typically Tom and Eli’s territory; however two Saturdays in November, Eli has been forced to share Dad. He has done so willingly. I am proud of him. Their time is precious with Tom working to build our business. Eli is out early from school the next two days and off the remainder of the week, so I will be sending him on adventures by himself with Dad and Grandpa. This includes duck hunting. Tom is avid about the outdoors, and Eli seems to be gaining the same appreciation. According to Dad, after about an hour, whining ensues. His story is never the same as Dad’s. When he comes in the door, he typically has a smile on his face and tells me about all their great adventures. 

Sidney had milestones this week. She used the potty today for the first time! Her other milestone was Friday, visiting a daycare for drop off of a few hours. Everyone has encouraged me to use this to my advantage to stay caught up on the house and Tom’s paperwork. She hardly batted an eye when I left. They reported she had a very fun morning and lunch and never cried. Not only does this relieve me, it makes me feel like we have established a great deal of trust.  I will continue using it when I have appointments or times when Tom’s schedule is chaotic. It is also good for Sidney to have the interaction once every couple of weeks.
 
I am off to continue the deep pre-Thanksgiving clean.

No comments: