Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Finding My Sanity and House

I thought I would share that we have a time scheduled for an echo cardiogram and renal ultrasound. We had Sidney’s second hand reconstruction completed in May, so we waited a few months to give her a break from the inside of the many clinics and hospitals we have visited in the last year. Both are preventative tests. A very small percentage of children with fibular hemimelia have heart and kidney issues, however we want to be sure.

As everyone in my family knows, for me, this has been a source of anxiety. I don’t really know why. We have been through two surgeries and sailed through with flying colors. When I feel this way, I am angry with myself. I know God has watched over, orchestrated, and guided this entire process, and He will continue to do so. However, there are still nagging anxieties about more surgery. Tom reminded me, if they find anything, it is not so much that it will be something surgical but something that needs to be monitored when she receives health care. Tom is eternally my voice of reason and calm.

I am still not thrilled that she has to be sedated with an oral medication, but I know they can get the most accurate results if she is still. This is because, she is FINALLY eating regularly. Maybe I should whisper those words, she is finally eating regularly. Three meals and snacks, finally her weight and her height are the correct ratio, and any type of medication that knocks her out does crazy things with her appetite.  At first we were told her echo cardiogram is separate from her renal ultrasound, and there was no way to schedule them on the same day. After scheduling the test for the heart, I received a call they were both scheduled for the same day. On Nov 16, we go in at 9am. She receives a bubble gum flavored oral medication, gets loopy, and then has her renal ultrasound at 9:30. Half an hour later, she has the echo cardiogram. She stays in recovery for a little while, but the best part is we have the results the same day. I was unaware this is standard procedure. Eli had an echocardiogram which later turned out to be an innocent murmur, and we had to wait a few days. All things for which I am very thankful.

Sidney and I took the opportunity to visit a small local daycare. I have been toying with the idea of taking her one morning a week. Tom works many, many hours each week, and this leaves much of the responsibility to me. This was fine when we didn’t have a business and I didn’t write. Sidney is a really easy toddler to take care of, so this isn’t the issue. I am falling behind on Tom’s paperwork and the house. My largest motivation is that Sidney’s normal is being around other kids. I think it might be good for her to do something a morning a week.

I find myself getting exceedingly picky when I hear there are aggressive children in the room or biters.  Sidney was the toughest looking one year old I have ever seen. She looked like she could take me in the alley and show me a thing or too. Maybe it was the hockey outfit she was wearing the first day we met her. Of course (despite it being a boy color in China), pink softened her look significantly the next day.

I have decided that I am going to continue being picky. She was pinching and hitting a lot when we came home, and I do not want to provoke those behaviors again. I will never forget feeling a sharp pain to my backside, only to turn around and see her grinning ear to ear. This was only a couple of days after we came home. We have all been victim to her right hook. This has all settled down, but it still comes out at odd times. Typically, it is when her brother is provoking her, and it is actually warranted. Brothers have a way of bringing out aggressive behavior in a sister, just ask my older brother Jason. The place I looked at didn’t have any kids like this, so I know they are available. Hopefully by next week, I will have decided on a place I can plant her a morning a week.

OK, off for homework and baths.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

We will be praying that the eating thing keeps up after the testing. People think I'm nits when I get picky about stuff like that.. they just have no idea what it takes to get our children over different issues. Prayers, friend.