Friday, October 1, 2010


I am writing to avoid the obvious which is Sidney clubbing her brother with a pillow. Dad is home, so he can deal with the drama for a moment.

Sidney and I made our Thursday trek to MOPS. What a great relief to sit and talk with other moms like myself and even find some who work while staying with kids. After I go, I am somehow transformed back into patient mommy and feel refreshed.  It was an added bonus that Sidney was exhausted after a fun morning of playing in the nursery. Part of our fees goes to pay the people doing childcare. They are mostly from the local college. Coincidentally, one of the people doing childcare in Sidney’s room is Korean. I can tell Sidney likes her. I took her to the playroom for 2 year olds, and when she asked if she was ready to play, she reached for her. Great progress from two weeks ago when Sidney was crying. She was so happy when I picked her up. In fact, we were sitting in the car waiting for Eli after school, and Sidney was saying over and over again “happy, happy, happy!”

I had one of those moments today when I looked at her and thought she looked older since yesterday. I don’t know if it is due to the fact that everything has taken a slower pace, so I have time to pay more attention. The six months prior to summer break were a frantic pace of doctor’s appointments and surgery. It is nice to finally have no doctor’s appointments or fewer. We decided to wait until October to schedule Sidney’s echocardiogram and renal ultrasound, but we will definitely be getting them done in October. We want it to go on this year’s health insurance on which we have more than met our deductible. Two surgeries in one year meet it quickly.

We are spending as much time outside as possible. 
This is my solution to the nap Sidney seems to be avoiding on a daily basis. Today, we went out for about an hour after lunch and this short period was enough to send her into dream land for a couple of blissful hours. It also helps her appetite. We still struggle sometimes with getting her to eat. It is so contrary to everything in my Midwestern upbringing. While Eli could eat me out of house and home, Sidney either eats everything in site or wants nothing to do with food. I realize this is very normal for toddlers, but she still holds on to a few of the behaviors with food that are recognizable from her time in the orphanage.

For awhile this behavior waned, but we are in a phase where she is concerned food will always be around. If she wakes up from a nap for a brief moment, the first thing she does is look for her juice or maybe a small bowl of pretzels next to her. There have been times she has asked for food in her bed at night. We did so, after trying to get her to go to sleep for a long period. She took the bowl only to put it in the corner of her pack n play by her head and promptly fall asleep. Living in a lifestyle and culture where there is a constant supply of food and too much of everything, it is hard to image how her young soul internalized not having enough to eat.

Much to my relief the pediatrician did confirm she finally weighs enough for her height, so this takes some of the stress off. So, we take it day by day, knowing that eventually, she will understand there will always be enough. One thing that does make us laugh is her sweet tooth. That kid loves cookies and anything sweet. I have a habit of going to the drive through for a pop or coffee. This is out of my character, because Tom and I are self-described tight wads. I never eat anything out unless it is a special occasion, so this once weekly stop is a treat to me. Whenever we pull up, I have to preface the stop as “only for coffee or only for pop.” Inevitably, the same question always comes up “fries?” She loves fries. Over summer break, once every couple of weeks I take the kids for Happy Meals. Of course, Eli is getting the age where he is outgrowing them.  

Eli is now upstairs sleeping like a ton of bricks. He had physical fitness testing, and he was required to run ½ mile. So dramatic was his description of the actual run, one would have though he competed a triathlon. He has a buddy at the care center. His class walks to the care center and does a brief activity. Eli informed me his buddy is a veteran. So is Eli’s Grandpa Bob, so he was very impressed that this older gentleman had served. His other dramatic tale usually comes on Friday when he depicts the very long walk to the care center. It is a mile, and I think it is great his teacher is wearing him down before she sends him home to me. My grandma was 96 when she passed away. Eli went many times to visit her in the nursing home, as well as my other grandmother who passed away last fall. He became very comfortable with this environment. I am pleased he had this experience prior to going to the care center for school, so he can fully enjoy and take something away from the experience.

OK, this mommy is tired, off to bed.


No comments: