Friday, September 17, 2010

Therapy and Tears

How many times did I take out my barrette today? Notice we are outside, and the mosquito
population has FINALLY dropped off!

 I found out the other day, Sidney is honing her skills as a hand therapist. I was mulling over the German grocery retail industry on a writing project (exciting stuff), when I looked back and saw Sidney with a mouse to a toy computer. She was taking the part that plugs in and using it like the ultrasound tool the hand therapist uses on scarring. Skin grafts create bumpy surfaces and scarring will continue to build over the next two years between her fingers. Ultrasound is used to break down the scar tissue. Though I would never wish for her to have gone through two surgeries, I think it is good this is a normal part of her routine. I also think if she was doing this with her baby, she sees it as a normal part of her care. All positive factors.



Sidney and I headed to MOPS yesterday. Uninterrupted conversation with adults is a beautiful thing. Did I say child care is provided in a great facility? Another beautiful thing. When I dropped Sidney off this morning we had tears. Eventually, I worked my way out of the room, and she was fine after a couple of minutes. I realized on the way home, we were running late, and all the other kids were there. Some were crying. If I come early before there are a lot of kids crying, we have no issue. She always starts crying if another kid is crying. This has been a constant since we have come home. I’ll take the crying over the gagging. That’s another thing she does in the back seat of the car when she wants to get out or get my attention. Nothing gets a moms attention like the sound of a child getting ready to vomit in the backseat. Another trick she has carried with her from the orphanage. I don’t say these things lightly, but putting it in perspective, it could be something so much worse.


We are off to Jill’s (friend down the street) today for a play date. Thank goodness. It is Nickelodeons world day of play, and I think Eli might combust if they don’t turn it back on soon. No, I don’t allow my kids to have a million hours in front of the tube, but school is out for the day. Off to our family reunion tomorrow.

No comments: