Sunday, September 26, 2010

Catching Up

Tom is watching something indescribable on “Dual Survival,” so I think this might be a good time for me to divert my attention away from the television. I am back from a long blogging break. Smoke is still rolling off my keyboard writing (not literally, of course) for different jobs, and we are always busy during the school year. Sidney and I were fighting colds, not bad, just enough to be annoying. She is gaining a better immunity, but I can tell she is a healthy kid, because she only had a runny nose for a couple of days and was back to her spunky self.  8 days later, mom is still blowing her nose. 

Last week, it was my birthday, so Tom did a sweet thing. I came downstairs from folding laundry while Sidney napped when I heard a knock at the door.  Standing in the rain was a flower delivery person with a nice arrangement in fall colors. Tom and the kids sent me flowers. Eli was exceptionally sweet the night of my birthday. 

Coincidentally, my birthday was the same night as a Boy Scout meeting. I am chairing popcorn sales in our community, so I had to give my song and dance. Luckily, Tom was off from working any side jobs the following evening, because Eli was ready to hit the pavement, honing his sales technique. He happened to find a group of adults having a weekly BBQ. He was elated that he made four sales in one location. They door knocked for a solid hour. I wish I could say that hour was fun at home. Instead, mom was steaming her sinuses with a hot cup of water, sending scalding hot water down the front of my shirt. Not one of my finer moments. So while the boys walked around outside, I was trying to decide if I needed to go to the emergency room. I will spare the gory and blistering details. Relief came in the form of lots of ibuprofen over the last few days.

Friday night Eli had a classmates birthday party, so we shipped him off for a few hours into the early evening. Sidney realized what was going on and asked “NeeNee too?” She was unhappy to hear she would not be spending time with the big boys and had to ride home with mommy. Much to Eli’s chagrin we were early too early, picking him up, so she was able to play for a few minutes.
Yesterday, we had our nephew Finn’s first birthday party. I don’t know why it amazes me so much that my older brother Jason and sister-in-law Sarah have a baby. Maybe it is because I still picture Jason as the kid torturing me on summer break. Sidney ate an entire cupcake, and it was a sugar crash instead of a sugar high on the way home.

As a side note, we have noticed further progress with the use of Sidney’s hands. She never had an issue using them, but after surgery, she could not stand to have any pressure or anyone touch the inside area where the skin grafts were completed. I am certain it felt like someone touching any scar from surgery. It feels weird and makes you want to go through the roof. We have noticed, recently, she is putting her other fingers between the separated area. Her surgery was last January. Feeling them separated has to be a very unnatural sensation for her. This is major progress as she is becoming more comfortable with her new fingers. She is doing great with and without the lift in her shoe. In fact, after talking with our orthopedist, we let her go without shoes in the house. She would rather not have the lift at all, but we know it is important for her spine and balance. She can run very quickly without the lift barefooted. She has developed this adorable little hop when she is happy. Did I say my child is amazing? Over the summer and into this fall, we have sat back and watched her enjoy simply being a carefree kid. It is awesome. However, a part of this carefree attitude is starting fights with her brother. As you can tell things are going well.
OK, off to start another week.

No comments: